Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cobra kit. Who manufactured it?

Can anyone tell from the pictures who made this kit? I started it in the early and now want to finish it. I have some parts from two different kits but I don't know what parts to use. The major parts for both kits are gone so that didn't work, and I have a 289 and a 427 motor in the left over kit parts.

Thanks for the help.

Looks like the Sunny (Japanese) 427 body on the 289 chassis kit made about 30 years ago with the original AMT kit as the base.  You can still find them and the reissue made by Academy which was more honest and labeled the kit as a 289 (with a 427 type body).  So, since the 289 chassis (leaf spring front) and 427 (coil springs) are vastly different, your best best is to make a 289 Comp Cobra using the 289 AMT kit front and the Sunny rear and using a HRM engine.  That is my suggestion anyway.  I'm sure JC and Cobraman will chime in on what they recommend.

I just looked through my kits and found what I thought was more of the kit is really an unfinished Monogram kit that I started years ago. I also have a second untouched Monogram Cobra 427 so I have two Cobras to build.

Going back to the parts boxes.

I found almost all of the parts for this one. It was finished in the late 70'2 to early 80's, several moves must have broken parts off of it. It looks like I'm missing two Weber carbs and radiator hoses and the radiator, maybe.

Disregard the fan, it's for another build. This should be a good winter job. I hope I can buff the paint out.

Thanks for the reply, it did help me find the 289 for the kit.