Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC wrecker modded a little......

I bought this kit to try to use the tires on a 1/32 semi. I robbed a few parts from it for my Ford wrecker project, and I figured Id play around with whats left. For starters, I wanted to change the whole stance of the struck. The cab sits on the frame very strangely, so the first thing I did was notch the rear cab wall to let it sit lower on the frame. I also modified the fromt leaf springs to lower it some more. I ended up tucking the frame into the front in more by cutting out the engine, cutting some of the inner fender off, cutting a little of the bottom of the radiator as well. After all that, Im happy. I used the bed floor, but made new sides. I cut off the molded on sunvisor, and filled in the sunroof hole. After all of that, it looks just like the way I remember these trucks. 

I added a piece of styrene sheet to the odd notch on the back of the cab. I rounded it over and blended it with the shape of the roof and back panel.

Now I kinda want to get a few more of these.

VERY cool project.  There is an out of commission wrecker around the corner from me that matches this kit perfectly - right down to the boom. 

Been wanting to do something similar to the 1:1 version for a while.  The owner is a bit of a hoarder and won't sell it, even though the property is for sale and he has nowhere else to store it.  I'll wear him down one of these days...

Until then, I'll have to live vicariously through your build!