Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford F-350 Dually w/scratch built race trailer

Built this Revell/Monogram F-350 before the Galaxy trailers were issued. I built the trailer from scratch to create a hobby racer's rig.

IMG_1445E_zpsaua2dcwi.jpg

IMG_1448E_zps5nij41nw.jpg

IMG_1446E_zpskfr9n6fc.jpg

IMG_1449E_zpskoza8pm4.jpg
5th wheel hitch made from sheet styrene and the top from a 1/25th big rif radiator. A much nicer one is now available in resin from Scenes Unlimited. They have a great receiver hitch as well.

IMG_1454E_zpsagvnksbo.jpg
The trailer is made from sheet plastic (sides, roof. floors), the frame is Plastruct structural shapes. I can post more details if anyone is interested

IMG_1457E_zpssvogfx1k.jpg

IMG_1458E_zps4cwcjlen.jpg

IMG_1455E_zpsy3pfctrh.jpg

IMG_1453E_zpsuqjvag6b.jpg

IMG_1452E_zps00je97jm.jpg

Edited by Flynlo

Thanks everyone for the compliments, Here are some more detail shots of the trailer:

IMG_1442E_zpsu03vikxs.jpg

IMG_1444E_zpssfzxx7ua.jpg

Trailer frame is Plastruct tube and channel. "Gooseneck" hitch is braced with sheet plastic and a music wire pin inserted into a square plastic tube,

IMG_1443E_zpsdwkhmycn.jpg

Torsion spring axles are made from square tube (axle), channel for the trailing arms and aluminum tube for the spindles. Looks flimsy but it has supported the trailer, T-bolt and gear for many years in the display case. The fenders are cut from the clear plastic bubble packaging of a coin holder for your car.

IMG_1438E_zpshrvgahm3.jpg

IMG_1433E_zpstpeswzon.jpg

Interior details are left overs from various kits and "artwork" clipped from magazines.

IMG_1431E_zpstv0xo4pc.jpg

Edited by Flynlo

Beautiful rig, love all three pieces.  I have been trying to figure out how to suspend a double axle I am building and this torsion system you have designed seems to fit the bill perfectly; thanks for showing it.  One question: How did you do the rounded front corners on the trailer?

Beautiful rig, love all three pieces.  I have been trying to figure out how to suspend a double axle I am building and this torsion system you have designed seems to fit the bill perfectly; thanks for showing it.  One question: How did you do the rounded front corners on the trailer?

Thanks Ricky! Torsion axles are very common now days as they are simple to install and allow for a lower floor heigth. Note: the axle below is shown unloaded. As load is applie, the arm leading to the spindle would be closer to parralel with the frame.

Image result for Torsion trailer axle

Common capacities for each axle would be 3500 lbs. (5 bolt 15" wheels), 5200 lbs. (6 bolt 15" wheels), and 7000 lbs. (6 or 8 bolt 16" wheels). A 5th wheel trailer this size would typically be 16" wheels but I used 15's as I had them on hand. 

The rounded corners are plastruct tubing slit into quarters lengthwise. Thought that I may have to reinforce the butt joint to the front and sides but since I wrapped the shallow top and bottom channel across this joint they have held up just fine.

Edited by Flynlo

Oh, yeah....This is a great job on this baby....I'm diggin' it......Excellent work on the frame and suspension.....The truck looks great, too....Very clean model.....Amazing.....Just amazing.....

Thanks JT and others.
The frame cross members should extend to the outer wall but I got lazy and never installed these. I actually built a jig that allows me to build this frame in any length. After the Galaxy kits came out, it was easier to just build those. Ironicaly, I have built every one of the Galaxy trailer kits but all were for someone else so I don'tt have a single one of my own to display. (have more kits though!). I also molded and cast correct 5 and 8 lug aluminum wheels and tires for the Galaxy kits but again, didn't cast any for myself before the molds were shot. :rolleyes:

Edited by Flynlo

Thanks JT and others.
The frame cross members should extend to the outer wall but I got lazy and never installed these. I actually built a jig that allows me to build this frame in any length. After the Galaxy kits came out, it was easier to just build those. Ironicaly, I have built every one of the Galaxy trailer kits but all were for someone else so I don'tt have a single one of my own to display. (have more kits though!). I also molded and cast correct 5 and 8 lug aluminum wheels and tires for the Galaxy kits but again, didn't cast any for myself before the molds were shot. :rolleyes:

Amazing how that works, huh......You've done an awesome job on it, though.....I have several of the Galaxie kits, myself.....Getting close to that time to build another one.....