Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just a thought about 3D printing

In reading through many of the posts here recently, it got me to thinking about 3D printing and our hobby and some possibilities. 

We are all mourning the closing of The Modelhaus and hoping that someone will buy them and keep the company running, myself included. We also worry about other long time resin casters and if/when they decide to retire and the effect it will have on our hobby. I think we all know that resin casting is a tough business and have seen many companies come and go over the years and obviously if it were easy money and easy to do, we would all be doing it!

I got to thinking about how 3D printing could help a resin caster shorten the time frame to develop masters to cast and also increase the realism and accuracy. In a recent PM conversation with a resin caster, he wants to offer more items but struggles with the time factor in developing new masters and running a business in addition to having a day job. I think there are some resin casters out there who have mastered 3D printing (Chief Joseph comes to mind) and have used it to bring items to our hobby with success and hope that there are more like him.

In reading about the upcoming 66 Chevy Suburban from Revell, I couldn't help but notice that some of us were lamenting the lack of a 4wd drivetrain option or wanting the ability of a GMC grille and engine and that had me thinking that it would be a perfect opportunity for someone to fill an immediate void/need.While I lack the knowledge to execute such a plan, I am certain someone within this forum does and it might be only a matter of time before we see those options available. The point I am trying to make is that with new technology, we might not have to settle for what the model companies give us or wait until they get around to offering additional options, it could be had much sooner.

I would be interested in hearing what the forum thinks about this, especially those that are in the casting business. Has/could/will 3D printing affect(ed) your business and in what way? Do you see it as a blessing or a detriment? 

It all come down to time and money for the quality of the parts being made. 

The Resin casting changed the way that old models with missing parts have been treated by builders and collectors. The web and EBAY have changed the way people can and do enjoy the Hobby. 

I think it will have a big positive impact but have no idea how long it will take because of the cost and time frame. 

Using high-resolution 3D prints as masters for resin-cast production parts is a natural, and has already been discussed at some length.

The masters made this way can offer exceptional realism and scale fidelity, particularly when they are taken from high-res laser scans of real objects.

Note the high degree of detail in these 1/35 figures, currently available as 3D prints. They were developed directly from laser scans, and depending on the complexity (and specific casting considerations like draft-angle and mold parting-line locations) parts with this much detail could easily be used as masters for silicone molds, and resin-cast parts...bringing the cost of the finished parts down considerably from what the 3D printed versions currently sell for.

Image result for 3D printed military figures

The (currently) relatively long time it takes to actually PRINT a one-line-at-a-time 3D part is nicely offset if the first print is used to make a set of molds, and multiple parts are made simultaneously in the traditional resin-cast way.

The only thing holding this back from becoming mainstream is the number of people who have the skills AND the interest to develop masters and make silicone molds for resin-cast model car parts.

Resin casting is really relatively easy. CAD (for designing parts without access to laser scanning technology) can be mastered by first starting with the FREE Google SketchUp program, and developing from there.   http://www.sketchup.com/

Anybody with a pretty good brain and the DESIRE can do this.  :D

About the only problem I can see with doing all the drive train components for a NAPCO 4wd setup for that '66 Suburban, would be that when 3D printing such parts, UNLESS the resolution of the printer itself is quite fine (as in very THIN layers),  those parts can come out looking as if they were made from rather well-worn wood, due to their rounded, rod- or tubular-shapes.  Having evaluated just about every Moebius tooling mockup (and those are done in 3D printed form),  it's pretty hard at times, to judge such parts for their correctness, their accuracy.

NAPCO, a St. Paul MN auto parts house, created the 4WD setups for GM Truck back in the 50's and 60's,  working with available axles, differentials, transfer cases and driveshafts, as a "parts kit" that GM assembly workers could simply bolt into place.  Some research would be advisable as to just whose components NAPCO used for their conversion parts kits sold to GM for 4WD vehicles--quite probably they are out there in model kit form someplace, or at least can be worked up from available model kit parts for use as masters for resin casting.

Art

I think 3D printing is going to become the fastest technology ever adopted into mainstream uses ever.  I have 2 grandsons in high school ( a public school a short distance NW of Detroit) who are already working with it along with CAD classes.  I have a 7 year old granddaughter whose parents just bought her a "toy" 3D printer for $233 on Amazon last week.  One thing about learning this technology at a young age is that the kids don't know that some people think it is "advanced" because everything is new to them, they don't have to re-learn some skills like us old folks.  Learning is their everyday existence whether biology, mathematics, computer science, etc.

As Art mentioned, 3D printed prototype mock-up are already being extensively used in the industry. 3D-printed masters for resin or pewter cast models are also already used by several companies.  In time I'm sure that more and more companies (or cottage industries) will be using that technology.  There are several 3D printing technologies and dozens of printers which vary in printting resolution from really coarse to so fine that the printed items look like they have been injection-molded. Of course the cost of the fine-resolution printouts are much higher than the low-res ones.  But if used as a master, it pays to invest in a high-res printout.

As always, producing the 3D CAD geometry is the trick. ESPECIALLY when you are trying to replicate trans-kit parts. When I was doing the artwork for my photo-etched kits I HAD to have the model kit on hand to measure so the detail pieces would actually fit the model with little to no modification.

The same is true for 3D Modeled components. You will have to have the target kit in your hands to make sure the new parts will fit. Otherwise you are just wasting your time. The other aspect is modeling the parts so they actually look like the original parts you are replicating. Axles, engines, grills, etc... If you can't do that with any accuracy you are wasting your time. Without pictures and measurements to use for modeling no one will buy your "kit" because it doesn't look correct or fit well.

There is some prep work involved in getting a 3D Printed part ready for casting but that is easy compared to scratch building the part.

Mark

For what it's worth, my personal record is 3D modeling a part on a Sunday morning, printing the part that afternoon, molding it that evening, casting copies on Monday afternoon, and shipping them on Tuesday.  Switching to a 3D workflow has increased my productivity by an astronomical level.

For what it's worth, my personal record is 3D modeling a part on a Sunday morning, printing the part that afternoon, molding it that evening, casting copies on Monday afternoon, and shipping them on Tuesday.  Switching to a 3D workflow has increased my productivity by an astronomical level.

That's great to hear Chief as I have an order for some of your great parts. I guess that I'm not one for big changes and don't really look at 3D printing as part of our hobby like others do. Am I really "stuck in the 60's" or???

Finally Mike, you have an answer to your original post. Thank you Joseph for chiming in. Joseph is the blue print of how it should be done. He mastered resin casting, then cad drawing. Lastly, he purchased and learned how to use a high res 3d printer. All these skills, he has mastered. The first step to 3d printing is mastering a cad software. Then you can approach the steps Mark brought up in his post. It certainly has a place in our hobby for those who choose to utilize it. 

Mattel is scheduled to release a 3D printer resurrecting the Thingmaker moniker by this Christmas. Price should be under $400. Even if this turns out to be inadequate for our needs, It's only the beginning. A good 3D printer would be a boon to any signshop, my vocation in a past life.  I've used one that was based on printing by spraying a flour-like substance with a glue, late 90s tech.  It worked well enough and the strata lines were minimal. It did have a texture that needed to be removed, though. I wonder how long before large format 3D printers happen. You could print canoes.

Edited by samdiego

Without divulging financial details, I suspect that the upfront costs were significant for you but the payoff is in the turnaround time. I wonder how long before more resin casters are following the timeline laid out here?

Take a new kit release (like the Ford Bronco), imagine if someone had the ability and equipment mentioned above and by the end of next week we had the rear flares and front push bar to create the Oly off road racer? Seems to me like it would beat Revell to the punch if they were intending to offer that version but would definitely drive sales for the new issue!

Another point worth mentioning that gets largely overlooked is that 3D modeling allows people who may NOT have the physical modeling skills necessary to create masters using traditional hands-on methods to turn out superb first-generation parts.

Much like the digital illustration programs that have allowed folks who couldn't do much of anything with a brush and paints, or pencils, or ink, to create "art", 3D printing can bridge a pretty significant talent gap.

You still need a good "eye" to evaluate your work, but the excellent eye-hand coordination and understanding of materials and tools required to make a first-rate master is not necessary.