Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Pontiac Bonneville Hard Top. Update, 3/25

StevenGuthmiller

Not 100% sure how I'm going to work this as I really want to resume with my '62 Chrysler 300 convertible project, but this re-builder '63 Bonneville will be next up on the roster.

I may try to work them together, although that never seems to work for me.

I'm thinking of using a beautiful '59 GM turquoise called "Crown Sapphire" on this one.

Steve

photo DSCN4940_zpsjfp6k7td.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

The color sounds great I know the color it would be nice with that car. I restored one about 4 years ago it's worth sending the chrome to little motor car company to re do the chrome they do a great job and now that modelhause is no longer around that will be the only way to go.

That sounds great Steve. I have a couple of '63 Convertibles to do...mamameetingaugust18011_zps0e17ff25.jpg

The one with the green promo seat in it is the product of two bodies spliced together at the door, as it was twisted, so I used the front section of an un-repairable  glue-bomb to make a useable body. I have a little putty work to do to it, and I can get to work on it. I want to paint it white, with a Blue interior, just like the one I remember a friend of my father having. They took me with them to the dealership to pick it up in 1963 as a new car. The first time I saw an absolutely brand new car at the dealership. I even think I have an up-top that I can adapt to the car in my parts stash.

I hope to do this with the other car.

63BonnevilleConvertibleProfile.jpg

Those big Pontiac Bonnevilles from the '60 are among my favorite cars from that era, as I have a couple of hardtops to do too.

I plan to re-do this '64 in Black, as I was never crazy about the silver paint on it.

2006_0124modelsjan190112.jpg

Your builds are awe inspiring, and they give me the inspiration to build more.

The color sounds great I know the color it would be nice with that car. I restored one about 4 years ago it's worth sending the chrome to little motor car company to re do the chrome they do a great job and now that modelhause is no longer around that will be the only way to go.

The chrome was already re-done by "Kustom Khrome" in Wisconsin.

They do absolutely flawless work.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Well, this is where I'm going next.

I have 1960, '62, '63, '64, '66 & '67 Bonnevilles all waiting in my stash, as well as '64 & '69 Grand Prixs, so it's time to get going on them.

With this many Pontiacs waiting, I could make the next couple of years all poncho years! :)

We'll just start with this one.

I already removed the front screw posts, added the inner fender flanges & a new radiator brace.

The body prep on this one should be no where near as bad as the '62 Chrysler was.

I will hopefully be ready for paint rather quickly with this one.

Steve

DSCN5823DSCN5827DSCN5826DSCN5829

Well, I had some issues with the paint on this one, so it's back to the drawing board.

I used all of the turquoise paint that I had, so a color change may be in order.

I do have another darker turquoise that I've thought about using, but there was no comparable color available on the Pontiacs in '63.

I also have a dark blue & a silver blue that I've thought about, but I've already mixed my interior color, so I'm considering white with a turquoise interior.

Steve

A light metallic Turquoise with a white vinyl roof would look fantastic on that car, especially with the white interior trimmed in a medium turquoise.

That's what the original plan was Ron, but I burned up all of my paint on the failed paint job.

No vinyl top though.

In my opinion, '63 is a little early for a vinyl top.

I don't think that the "convertible style" hardtop on the '62-'64 GM hardtops would look right in vinyl.

Painted a contrasting color is a different story, but sometimes I think that "cheapens" the look of an otherwise very classy looking car.

It's weird, but I think a '63 Chevy looks good with a contrasting top, but for some reason, I always thought that the Pontiacs looked better in one color.

Just another one of my strange neurosis I guess. :)

How about black with that interior

That's a thought!

I will consider that one!

Too bad I hate working with black paint so much. :angry:

Steve

Oops!  Didn't see that you'd already done the interior. :wub:

Haven't painted it yet, just have the paint mixed.

Steve, look at '63 Pontiac Palomino Copper.  It is midway between a copper and gold and very "period" to my eyes.  If it's not too close to something you have used lately you may like it.

I do have a really nice copper that I could use, but I've not been able to find any copper that was available on the '63 Pontiacs.

Steve

gm_1963_pontiac+tempest_ppg_c_01.jpg

One of my cousins had a '63 Bonneville 2 door hardtop, that was Cordovan Maroon, with a Black vinyl roof and Black leather interior. I always thought that was a striking car, and I plan to do my AMT '63 Pontiac Bonneville Hardtop in that color combination, complete with the vinyl roof. I hope my Model Car World Cordovan Maroon paint has not dried up by the time I get around to the build.

Several years ago, I used to see the locally shown classic cars in my area. One car that stood out to me was a 1063 Chevy Impala SS 2 Door hardtop. It was a Metallic aqua, with a White vinyl roof, and an Aqua Interior. The vinyl roof was unique in that it was grained similar to a convertible top, instead of the tuxedo grain, which was on my Dad's '65 Olds. I am not sure if it was a factory roof, but it did look good, and the owner of the car displayed a copy of the window sticker. Back in the day, most of the cars I saw with vinyl roofs were either Black, or Beige. A white roof would have been rare, as it would have been a bear to keep clean. I can attest to that, as my Dad had white vinyl roofs on his '68 Olds 98, '71 Lincoln Continental, and his '71 and '72 Lincoln Marks. He was a clean fanatic, and he taught me how to properly clean a vinyl roof when I took over the job of detailing his cars.

Judging from your past efforts Steve, no matter what color you paint the build in, it is going to look great.

I do have a really nice copper that I could use, but I've not been able to find any copper that was available on the '63 Pontiacs.

Steve

Yes, the Saddle Bronze would be the only thing even close to a copper or gold.  The Pontiac Palomino Copper I have on hand is paint code 63 but is actually a '70 color.  I only remembered the 63 and thought it was the year.  Apparently my brain is cloudy this week!

Somebody please help me!

I can't seem to get away from these old Mopars & Pontiacs with transparent steering wheels!

I was going to just leave this one, but then I overcame my period of laziness & went ahead with it.

I also scratch made a shifter boot while I was at it.

Decided I would build it as a 4 speed without the console.

I've also decided on the color scheme.

The turquoise exterior is gone, as well as the turquoise interior, in favor of black with a light metallic blue interior.

As much as I hate working with black, I thought it would make an interesting combo.

Steve

DSCN5837

This is a great build! I like the way you are making the clear sections.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's I parted out scores of 64-68 full size Pontiacs. Since you are going to this much work I wanted to share that the clear sections of the wheel should be tinted slightly in a shade similar to the color of the metallic plastic the rest of the wheel is molded in. The tint gets a little darker on the 67-68 wheels.

Although many of the re-cast wheels on restored cars are clear I was able to find one good picture showing an original blue tinted wheel (a 65).

Carmak

65 Pontiac Blue Wheel.jpg

This is a great build! I like the way you are making the clear sections.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's I parted out scores of 64-68 full size Pontiacs. Since you are going to this much work I wanted to share that the clear sections of the wheel should be tinted slightly in a shade similar to the color of the metallic plastic the rest of the wheel is molded in. The tint gets a little darker on the 67-68 wheels.

Although many of the re-cast wheels on restored cars are clear I was able to find one good picture showing an original blue tinted wheel (a 65).

Carmak

65 Pontiac Blue Wheel.jpg

Cool!

I can do that.

I have some transparent blue acrylic that I use for airbrushing window tint.

I'll just hit the steering wheel parts at the same time.

Thanks for the info Craig!

I didn't realize this fact with the Pontiacs.

The only color I thought these transparent wheels came in was "Mopar discolored yellow"! :D

Steve