Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dupli•Color Paint Question

Will these be ok to use on plastic?  Bought them for use on the RC4wd stamped steel 1.55" "Landy" Wheels I bought for one of my trail trucks and could only get in bare metal and now have the two massive and comparitively huge cans.

Sorry, can't get the pics to load, one is a can of their self etching automotive primer in a matt olive drap color while the other is their engine enamel w/ceramic in silver.

Edited by Joe Handley
forgot the pic........

Will these be ok to use on plastic?  

...one is a can of their self etching automotive primer in a matt olive drap color while the other is their engine enamel w/ceramic in silver.

yes , i use it all the time..just make sure u prime the plastic..

Ummm...WHAT ??

The Duplicolor primers, shot from the can, will craze most recent kit plastics INSTANTLY. Especially the hotter SELF-ETCHING.

THREAD HERE...    http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/116530-duplicolor-primers-too-hot-for-current-production-kits/

I use  duplicolor paints all the time though. Just use a less volatile primer

:D Agreed. Once you have the surface stabilized with the right primer combination, the paints are great. (BUT: I have NO experience with their engine paint on models. It's great engine paint on real engines, though.) This is Duplicolor, shot straight from the can.

Image result for ace-garageguy 50 olds

I believe Steve Guthmiller uses Duplicolor paints as well, and his always beautiful paintwork speaks for itself.  :D

PS: A general note about "engine paints" is that, in my own experience, they tend to have even hotter solvents than the self-etching primer products made for real cars. I believe this is because engines more often than not have some residual greasy film on them, even after cleaning, and the hotter solvents help with adhesion to a less-than-sterile surface.

In 2012 I shot a Revell part that had resisted crazing under Duplicolor primers with a dark gray aircraft engine "enamel". The crazing was instant and horrible, and almost caused me to miss a contest, as a carefully built custom chassis was pretty well ruined.

And THAT experience is why I always harp on "TEST FIRST" before committing to use ANY unfamiliar product on any model you care about.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I use  duplicolor paints all the time though. Just use a less volatile primer

Same here.  I've even gone as far as to use it directly on bare plastic with little to no issues.

Don't think that the DupilColor paint available in Canada is much different formula than what is sold in the USA, but I could be wrong.  I know that water based paint is now industry standard in body shops, as imposed by government regulations. 

Sure, its a little more expensive per can, but some of the best rattle can paint jobs I've done have been using the Duplicolor line.

This one was done with DupliColor Honda Nighthawk black over  DupliColor dark grey etching primer:

$_57.JPG

Lastly, I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the issues happening with Duplicolor were on newer Revell/Monogram kits.  Somethign to do with the styrene chemical composition.  Maybe that is the key factor, or I'm just making this up.

I had an issue on a few kits last year, but I wrote it off as using cheap, discount, no-name primer in lieu of Duplicolor to save a few bucks.  Don't recall having an issue after switching back to DupliColor etching primer.

Needless to say - TEST FIRST!

On 10/24/2016 at 11:21 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

:D Agreed. Once you have the surface stabilized with the right primer combination, the paints are great. (BUT: I have NO experience with their engine paint on models. It's great engine paint on real engines, though.) This is Duplicolor, shot straight from the can

I use engine enamel on every model kit engine I build . Usually shoot it directly on bare plastic. Maybe one or 2 list mist coats , then once tacky  I'll lay a final wet coat on then walk away for a few days

All these are either Duplicolor or Plasticoat engine enamels straight out of the can

engine-done.jpg

catalina5.JPG

Edited by gtx6970