Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ken Block's 2014 Ford RaptorTrax

After seeing this back in 2014

I knew I had to build one. I love the Raptor and this thing is just so beastie. So onto the start...

First, this is going to be a slow build as I round up parts/paint and extras for it. But I've started on it none the less so I can pick away at it as parts arrive. 

Starting point. Revell's lovely 2015 Raptor snap kit. Loads of detail inside and out will make for a great curbside build. 

Step 1, body mods. Removed the front bumper and rear roll pan, working on the tailgate now.

These are the tracks by Mattracks used on the RaptorTrax

And I'm in the process of having some replicas printed up from Shapeways.

That's it for now, paint will likely come from Gravity Colors. Decals will be a mash up of part box leftovers and some Ken Block rally car decals from Ebay or other online vendor.

More to come. Comments and criticisms always welcome.

David

Pretty cool project.question.that raptor kit is snap.so what you planning on for chassis,suspension, drive train..parts like that?....Chris

Chris, I'm gonna leave it curbside. The underside of the chassis on that particular kit is super detailed. The only real mods to the chassis at this time are first, since the truck has no tires, I dont need the spare under the box, I've already cut it out. ( I'll post pics in a bit.) And second, I'm going to "cut out" some of the material on the top side of the rear differential so it "floats" like it would on a normal model with a full detailed undercarriage. I'm also going to add the bars that stiffen the rear diff up to the chassis (sorry, proper name is eluding me at the moment). Also I have to extend the bash plate on the front of the chassis as it's abit different on the Raptortrax than on the stock truck. Any other changes I have to make I wont really know till I get the traxs in from Shapeways and see how they line up and look.

David

Cool! There was a set of Mattracks available some time ago but they were discontinued. Any plans on making them available?

Didn't know they were available before. Where from? The ones I'm using are on Shapeways.com I just contacted the designer and had him scale them up to 1/25th scale.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z6CBB3BEW/mattracks-front-1-25?optionId=61012289&li=ostatus

Small update.

Removed the tailgate, rear bumper and  spare tire, since this beast doesnt need that kind of rubber.

20161026_003817_zps3ouwrisr.jpg

Shot of the chassis details. I think I'm going to remove the exhaust as well and just put a short exhaust pipe right off the muffler and leave it at that.

20161026_003843_zpsqalbsxyj.jpg

20161026_003852_zps1iq62bd9.jpg

The running boards will be removed at some point as well.

More to come.

David

I'll also have to scratch up some shocks down the road, but I'll wait till I get the trax in.

Forgot to add..... the cut out areas will be filled with plastic card. 

Edited by Jhedir6

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhh, can't wait to see the bits from Shapeways!  What a cool project! 

I'd love to show them to you....but photobucket forgot how to work their site and seems they've been down for 2 days now.

Anyways, small update.

I've "hollowed" out some of the chassis around the rear axle and am in the process of filling it in with plastic card. But what I really wanted to show you was the Mattracks that came in from Shapeways today. 

They're amazing. They turned out better than I imaged. If they had of been half as good as they are I'd still of been happy.

20161104_114749.thumb.jpg.90f15f235b2563

Close up of one.

20161104_114823.thumb.jpg.d0da90125df101

And a mock up of them on the truck. The truck is sitting too high atm, I just tossed a box underneath to see what they'd look like, and how they scaled out. The ride height will be abit lower once I make up some pins to attatch  the Mattracks to the Raptor.

20161104_114712.thumb.jpg.ca2247194fb702

The earlier pics are on photobucket so you cant see them right now, I've inserted these through the forum so hopefully they show up correctly.

Comments and criticisms always welcome.

David

Edited by Jhedir6
fix my crappy spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. Been busy this week so no real work done, but I got some more parts from Shapeways in.

Roof rack, which will be attached to the roll bars over the roof. As well as 4 "Recaro" seats. Probably not really Recaro design, but still look good.

Still plan on ordering more parts from Shapeways. I figure at this point, why not.

More over the weekend I hope, temp's are really suppose to drop this weekend here so good times for building.

David