Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about 70 Roadrunner

Neither AMT nor MPC (competing companies back then) made a '70.  Only Jo-Han made one in 1969/1970, then Monogram converted their GTX to a RR many years later.

Yeah. If you want a '70 RR today, it's the Revellogram kit, or be prepared to lay a heavy bash on your credit card for an old JoHan.

I have a glue bomb of that Monogram GTX kit that I converted into a Road Runner... using Fred Cady decals!  The decals never looked quite right though. I'll have to dig it out at some point and post a pic.

To answer the OPs question, If I had a choice between the Johan kit and the Revell kit (and $500 to through out the window), I'd go with the Johan.  Better yet, buy the Revell, then put $470 back in your pocket. 

Edited by drksd4848

The Revell 1/24 scale kit is a nice starting point if you are willing to accept the limitations of the 30+ year old 1/24 Monogram '70 GTX base kit. When Revell updated the GTX kit a decade plus ago, they added an all new platform style interior with nicely detailed, separate door panels, a bench seat, and a Tuff wheel. It was very nice update on an older, but well done kit. Here are some (not all that great) pics of the interior to show what can be done:

I can't recall if the Pistol Grip shifter was new or improved, too, but it's nicely done:

Close up of newly tooled grille:

Wow... there's some serious detail in there... beautiful.

Did that Revell kit come with Road Runner decals?  I know the Johan '69 (and I believe '70) Road Runner kit had them hard-molded into the body.  Although the Johan Superbird did not...

Edited by drksd4848

Did that Revell kit come with Road Runner decals? 

Yes, it did, but they weren't all that impressive to be honest. The dust trail part was decent, but the bird at the front was a one color with no detail...copyright issue with Warner Bros. I believe:

Thank you all for info on the RR.some questions

1.in the 1/1 car was the 68-70 the same body?

2.on the car.was the difference between GTX an RR a in sll three years a package?

I apologize to you all on the year and saying MPC ,an AMT producing a 70 RR.

here is my project for this car.I'm building a trailer be towed by a 97 Ford Expedition . the RR is going to be on the trailer.not as a premo car but as a car thats been in a farm field sense late 70's.it will have no engine but a trans.I got a set of 10in keystone rims,hi jacker air shocks and front fender sitting on the front.hood sitting on front.no inner fender wells.like it was raced on the blvd..engine rods blown an engine pulled.trailer is getting done.Exped is 50 percent done.now time to decide on the car and get my hands on it...thats what I'm doing.I do want a RR to be on the trailer as car going to be restored.thanks for help on Chrysler cars and the kits in the time period 68-70..I definitely don't want to do this to a new Johan RR kit...the Johan rare cars need to be built looking good not a wore out street car.thank you....Chris

The Revell 1/24 scale kit is a nice starting point if you are willing to accept the limitations of the 30+ year old 1/24 Monogram '70 GTX base kit. When Revell updated the GTX kit a decade plus ago, they added an all new platform style interior with nicely detailed, separate door panels, a bench seat, and a Tuff wheel. It was very nice update on an older, but well done kit. Here are some (not all that great) pics of the interior to show what can be done:

70satRdoorpanel.jpg

70satinterior.jpg

I can't recall if the Pistol Grip shifter was new or improved, too, but it's nicely done:

222107.jpg

Close up of newly tooled grille:

222104.jpg

Nice work Casey.thank you....Chris 

Thank you all for info on the RR.some questions

1.in the 1/1 car was the 68-70 the same body? - Short answer . NO ------ 1968 and 1969 share a lot of similar design features . But 1970 is a one year only body design.

2.on the car.was the difference between GTX an RR a in sll three years a package? Kinda sorta - Yes  And  yet- NO

GTX started in 1967 . As an upgrade so to speak in looks and mostly performance .  A GTX had the 440 as the base engine with the Hemi as the only option. A GTX came standard with bucket seats ,  where as a  Road Runner the Bench seat was standard.  A GTX also had some woodgrain interior accents and some exterior bling that wasnt avail on a Road Runner 

here is my project for this car.I'm building a trailer be towed by a 97 Ford Expedition . the RR is going to be on the trailer.not as a premo car but as a car thats been in a farm field sense late 70's.it will have no engine but a trans.I got a set of 10in keystone rims,hi jacker air shocks and front fender sitting on the front.hood sitting on front.no inner fender wells.like it was raced on the blvd..engine rods blown an engine pulled.trailer is getting done.Exped is 50 percent done.now time to decide on the car and get my hands on it...thats what I'm doing.I do want a RR to be on the trailer as car going to be restored.thanks for help on Chrysler cars and the kits in the time period 68-70..I definitely don't want to do this to a new Johan RR kit...the Johan rare cars need to be built looking good not a wore out street car.thank you....Chris

Not sure you can get away with "no inner fenders" on a Mopar of this kind; they're unibodies, which means the "inner fenders" are a structural part of the body. One of the Mopar gurus here can probably tell you if this is possible or not.

The Revellogram '70 RR isn't particularly detailed underhood. You might be better off with the AMT '68 RR or '69 GTX as a starting point for this project. Or might be even better off doing it with a GM product such as a Chevelle or GTO, which were still being built on full frames and so could have had the front fender inners removed.

Not sure you can get away with "no inner fenders" on a Mopar of this kind; they're unibodies, which means the "inner fenders" are a structural part of the body. One of the Mopar gurus here can probably tell you if this is possible or not.

The Revellogram '70 RR isn't particularly detailed underhood. You might be better off with the AMT '68 RR or '69 GTX as a starting point for this project. Or might be even better off doing it with a GM product such as a Chevelle or GTO, which were still being built on full frames and so could have had the front fender inners removed.

i've seen a few Mopar B bodies with the inner fenders removed but they were cars with a fiberglass front end.

With no inner fenders there nothing to bolt the exterior fender to

Edited by gtx6970

Bill A.Thank you for the  info on this.I'll be including the info in my build.you helped me to get things right on this.again thank you.

Snake,I may not be able to leave the inner fenders out.if not its ok.you're help teaching me about Chrysler cars.I'm a GM dude.I know alot about them.don't know to much about Chrysler . thank you for your info an help.

Casey.thank you for the picture.I see why the no inter fender wells wouldn't work.but will build it with fenders (outer) on but held in place by a few bolts..or just loose.

I want a mainly stock type car.no frontend fiberglass parts.so I guess the inter fender wells can't be.cause the inter fender wells are part of the body and support as Snake said.

I'm thinking on the 68 RR by AMT.cause it looks like a better way to go on this one.I seen the instructions on Bobs site and having the engine separate from trans.makes for less work.when I remove the outer fenders,I'll need to rebuild what parts are not there in the kit.the kit is bought,just not here yet.in the speed shop I worked in back in the early eighties.cars came in with no engines,but trans still in.the front of the trans was heldup with wire,cable and rope.so thats what I want to do.thanks for all the help guys..have a great day and thanks....Chris 

I agree that the 68 Roadrunner or 69 GTX would be better for what you want to. The entire inner fender set up on those kits will build up nicely and lend well to cutting off a fender from the body. Also what scale is the trailer and Ford? If they are 1/25 the AMT kits are also 1/25. The Monogram / Revell 70 kit is 1/24 and may look large on the trailer.