Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 359 "Pennsylvania Hauler"

After much ado, I proudly present my freshly completed Peterbilt 359 "Pennsylvania Hauler". Peterbilts weren't all that common on the east coast back in the day I'm told, but that wasn't enough to stop me from building one with some east coast flavor. For greater details on what I did, you can check out the build thread here. Otherwise, here's a quick rundown, accompanied by pictures.

Paint is Rustoleum (yes, really) Harbor Blue with kit decals. Luckily I had a second one of these in the stash because I tore the cab stripe on installation. But I salvaged part of it for the stripes on top of the hood. I have some door signs drawn up, but I haven't printed them out yet. Still waiting to get a batch together to print. I used some aluminum tube for the exhaust standpipes because the stock ones were a tad too short for my taste, and would've required more effort than it's worth to rid of the mating seams.

GEDC0071_zpspnmms5lm.jpg

GEDC0072_zpsl1synhuv.jpg

GEDC0078_zps2flt7hdp.jpg

Up on the roof, I decided on one blue light in the center, leaving the rest amber. The housings needed some attention to remove flash and mold lines, so I had to foil them. I have several photos of my dad's from back in the late '70s when he started driving and the blue light was a popular thing, around Pittsburgh anyway. I have several of a Mack tri-axle dump truck he drove, as well as a friend's dark blue Peterbilt 359 with a double bunk that both have the one blue light. The blue color is pure coincidence, I've seen other not blue trucks with a blue light as well. After browsing lots of Mr. Ahlborn's photos, I made a game day decision to drill a hole in the side of the roof to attach the spotlight to, which looks much better than just sticking the light to the side of the cab. Mine's in the "away" position.

GEDC0075_zpsvbbx8xlm.jpg

Under the hood is the stock 8V-71. Dressed in a Peterbilt appropriate coat of white. Farr air cleaner and matching elbow were swiped from a Road Boss.

GEDC0076_zps9o3sfakm.jpg

Pretty much box stock out front. In the build process, I lost one of the fender mounted marker/reflector brackets to the sink. I was washing parts after dechroming, and the drain ate it. I've seen pics of 359s without them so I'm more upset than angry. I'll get them on the next one. Peterbilt emblems are all BMFed and colored with a red Sharpie, and the letters were revealed with some 4000 or 6000 grit (can't remember at the moment) sandpaper. I also smoothed and foiled the front of the mirrors to get rid of some nasty pin marks.

GEDC0077_zpsxo5tfk64.jpg

I still need some baby moon caps for the steer axle and the aforementioned door signs, and I think it needs some antennae. The grille could use a black wash but I don't have any acrylic black at the moment, easy enough to remedy later. That's all for now, thanks for looking everybody.

Edited by Casey429

Well done ! I like the color and the stripes. And I think you did add a bit of the East coast to it. Though back oin the day the favored trucks were Coe's and east coast short wd. I saw a few longer wb trucks when they delivered pipe to the job sites.

Be Well

Gator

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Supper job,love the air cleaner. I got one saved up just for a Pete like this.

The blue light looks great. You brought back memory of my childhood.

The tiny little lights on the fenders,I got tons floating around in the vacuum of Space some were. Wish some one would cast those.