Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi all as it was my birthday today my son bought me these.

He's head of history and casually dropped into the conversation that he was hoping they would be used in a commissioned dio for his school. The dimensions would be 4'×3' approx so will need more models, thing is he knows as much about modelling as I do about armour so I need a lot of help I have a 1/72 tiger moth could I use that in the same period, I'm pretty sure (without checking the stash not sure I have a glouster gladiator biplane in the stash also) not been an armour man the only tanks I have are a cheifton that's 1/35 and I'm pretty sure ww2 although I could use my forced perspective I used in the warspite gets a few scars dio) what other tanks and assorted vehicles would be used in a dio of this size, I have no idea at all, I will need to research the trenches and stuff, also can you tell from the markings on the tank where it was used, I think my son is thinking German trenches is the tank the tight markings for that and is the plane right also (blimey I can see this getting complicated)

This dio can get extremely complicated extremely quickly!  Research, research, research, and ask a lot of questions over on Armorama. :)

As for the Tiger Moth, I'm guessing that you're talking about the DH.82.  That aircraft didn't make its first flight until 1931.  The Gloster Gladiator's first flight was in 1934.

The FV4201 Chieftain is a cold war tank (1966-present).

From the photo above, it looks like you have a mix of years.  The infantry you have both look like early war (1914-1915), the tank was 1916, the Fokker E.III was 1916, and the Sopwith Triplane was from December 1916 - August 1917.

This might help: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

Good luck.

As said, you have a few different eras within the war.  The Tiger Moth and Gloster are both post-WW1 so not usable.  The Fokker E3 was an early war a/c while the Sopwith Tripe was closer to mid-War.  The tank was toward the latter stages.  It might be helpful to pick a time frame and then I could give you some ideas of the a/c in use.  Aviation technology advanced rapidly and some types were only at the front for short periods.  Mortality rate was high, a pilot had a life expectancy of about 25 hours in the air (on average, with exceptions being an Allied pilot had a much shorter life during the Fokker Scourge and German pilots felt that pain towards the end of the War to end all Wars)

There was a Renault tank that was common, again toward the end of the war and I think I recall seeing a model of it, just don't know the scale.