Model Cars Magazine Forum

Krylon Stainless Steel Paint ?

Iam not abig fan of Krylon in general.

Are you looking only for spray Cans? If so,  you may want to try testers metalizers. Otherwise, you can decant their bottles paints and use your airbrush. I really like Alclad as well. Another option, paint it flat black and use a small amount of rub and buff that you can pick up at hobby lobby of Michael's etc   

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Krylon also makes a flat aluminum that might work better for you.

I was using Rust-oleum Metallic aluminum but it had too much metallic then I tried some Rust-oleum High Performance Wheel Steel but it cam out looking like a  metal flake silver. (may use this as a body color on a future build). The flat aluminum might be what I need , thanks

Iam not abig fan of Krylon in general.

Are you looking only for spray Cans? If so,  you may want to try testers metalizers. Otherwise, you can decant their bottles paints and use your airbrush. I really like Alclad as well. Another option, paint it flat black and use a small amount of rub and buff that you can pick up at hobby lobby of Michael's etc   

The flakes were so large they would most likely plug my air brush. Alcad is what I am using on the tips and is too cromie for thepipes and mufflers. I will check into the rub-n-buff stuff  Thanks

Edited by Jon Haigwood

Alclad has more than the chrome.  they have a huge line,  but the rub and buff is great. just use a very small amount on your fingertip,  rub off on cardboard first,  then smear it around.  when it runs out,  reload your fingertip.

Here  is a video of how to use AKINTERACTIVE Ture Metal, which is essentially the same thing. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DLPNGFAgWmGU&ved=0ahUKEwjTycnt7PnPAhVsx1QKHdRIAwIQwqsBCEcwBw&usg=AFQjCNEVJpor3geuFapejBi1VFJQcC_3GA&sig2=RvmjLBIkoGONXV8OE09bZA

And there is also the Testors "Metalizer" line. VERY FINE pigments, comes in spray-cans both "buffing" (for a polished appearance) and non-buffing, for a more as-cast appearance. Also comes in bottles to be airbrushed.

The exhaust on this engine was done with their "titanium", and the trans case is done with the "buffing aluminum plate" (there are other colors as well).

Image result for testors metalizer colors

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I used somebody's Stainless Steel rattlecan--I forget whether it was Krylon or Rustoleum--to refinish the 50-YO exhaust fan over our kitchen stove. It came out AMAZING and my wife loved it and immediately abandoned her plan to spend $300 on a new one. Now THAT stuff is "flaky"--completely unsuitable for any model use I can imagine.

Krylon also makes a "Satin Nickel" paint. I'll save you a few bucks there--it also is much too flaky for what you want to do.

Some brush paint alternatives, I have used Tamiya  XF-56 Metallic Grey and XF-16 Flat Aluminum. Model Master has a color called Steel that is flat and turns out somewhere between Aluminum and the darker Tamiya grey. I have used Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver that looks much like a powder coated header.