Model Cars Magazine Forum

I`VE GOTTA BE THE WORST

bubbaman

i`ve built  about  26 models  and most of them are not complete or  there`s glue on most windows  i loose some part from the engine so some engines wouldn`t run if  real  - trouble with the paint  - the  2 i did good on were  the  tractor trailers  well there were no trailers  but the  rig came out good - but all in all - i LOVE IT AND WILL NEVER GIVE UP   who knows maybe  i`ll get as good as some of you guy`s some day  - oh well CARRY ON

it is hard to give you feedback not knowing all the details.  for example,  

Are you using tube glue or liquid fire?    

How long are you taking per model?  

How long have you been Building?  eto.

In general, use the right tools like good glue, sharp knives, etc, and take your time. Building models is usually  not a race. Do you have an example of some of you main concerns that you would like suggestions on? 

Don't give up, I feel your pain. I have 4 64 Mopar bodies that have been in and out of the golden and purple ponds at least 2 times each trying to get the paint right.

I finally finished making my scratch built Max Wedge exhaust and on the final paint application it went flakie. I have built at least 3 coils and they still don't look right. And there is a few other problems I am dealing with.

I treat each failure as just a stepping stone to a good outcome and definitely learn from each trial and tribulation. Just look at it as a good thing if you can. Everybody goes thru it.

i been building for 50 years and still learn from my mistakes..a couple tips for you tho..#1 if you are using any kind of tube glue ,get rid of it and find you a good liquid or ca glue that u like and stick with it..they are so many out their to chose from ..#2 for windshields-glass testors makes a white glue that is great... also Elmer's glue all works the same ..if you get any on where it isn't suppose to be a small brush and water will take it off while wet..and don't give up on building u will get their..on last tip go to u tube and look up building plastic models cars or trucks or anything about modeling building and u will find some videos that will surely help you..

- i LOVE IT AND WILL NEVER GIVE UP   

That's the best attitude you could possibly have.

If you love it, and you enjoy the time you spend doing it, you're successful in the hobby. It's not about competition or being as good or better than the next guy...unless you choose to compete.

If you want to refine your skills, the guys above make excellent suggestions. Take your time. Use quality tools and materials. Take your time. Solve one issue you may be having, and move on (for instance, the suggestion you use a "white" water-soluble PVA glue for windows is excellent. It worked for me.) Take your time. There's no better way to mess up a model than to try to rush it. 

And don't beat yourself up. You can fix ANYTHING if you really want to, so no matter how dissatisfied you may be with your results, just keep on keeping on and they'll get better.

Guaranteed.  :D

Good attitude. I have also been building for 50 + years and I still make stupid errors and my building talent is not as good as you would expect from someone building so long. I also love it ! Being retired it gives me something to do. It also can be ( not always ) a good stress relieve. I am married after all. : )

What Bill and Ray said.

I do the same thing. I am not building to compete with others or even show others, I am building to enjoy building. The end product isn't the main thing to me, it is the fun of building. I do the best I can, try to learn from each, but if it isn't perfect I don't care. If I get frustrated I put it aside. Some have been set aside for many years. :lol: I have ruined several models experimenting, but I don't look at those as a lose, it was a learning experience. Some things I tried I didn't have the skills to really succeed at the time, some were just horrible ideas. But it was fun.

Oh, I've been building off and on for over 50 years. Probably hundreds or more kits along the way. As long as I am having fun doing it I will continue. If it stops being fun I will stop.

Russ

Edited by russosborne

No, you're not the worst. I have yet to finish a model that I think is great. There's always a good side to photograph because there are problems on the other side. I haven't finished a model since January. Just haven't been real motivated but with winter coming on, I'm feeling the urge again. Work at it when you feel like it and don't when you don't feel like it. You'll get better. 

Stan....All good advise here.  I have been there many times myself...still have those days when nothing seems to go right.  Best advise anyone ever gave me on building is....

Treat every part as if it were a model itself.

Build for you or what makes you happy with them.

Building is no race...build at your own speed and the results will show it...after time they will all start to look much better as each one you build you learn from.  If you love it never give up...me if I am having a bad building day I just take a break for awhile on them.  Me I have been looking for old parts to my dads old ones that need restored for MANY years now and will never give up on them.

I'll join the choir....  my problem isn't that I don't KNOW what to do, or HOW to do it, it's my aging eyes, fingers and joints don't always allow things to happen as I plan for.  Unfortunately, frustration with my physical limitations sometimes ruins my enjoyment of building.  What I need to do is scale back my goals for my builds to include less added detail and kitbashing.  Catch 22 though..., that's what keeps me motivated for most of my builds.  I'll make it through this transition period and get used to building more out-of-the-box, with a bit less detailing and things will be as fun as they always have been.  I can't be as tough on myself as I have been. One thing I'm NOT short on is time... retirement is great for that ;)

I'll join the choir....  my problem isn't that I don't KNOW what to do, or HOW to do it, it's my aging eyes, fingers and joints don't always allow things to happen as I plan for.  Unfortunately, frustration with my physical limitations sometimes ruins my enjoyment of building.  What I need to do is scale back my goals for my builds to include less added detail and kitbashing.  Catch 22 though..., that's what keeps me motivated for most of my builds.  I'll make it through this transition period and get used to building more out-of-the-box, with a bit less detailing and things will be as fun as they always have been.  I can't be as tough on myself as I have been. One thing I'm NOT short on is time... retirement is great for that ;)

So far I don't have any physical limitations when it comes to model building, however I have been scaling back on added details and kit bashing myself as I would like to increase my production. I build for myself and still enjoy it very much.

Stan you are in the right place!    I built as a kid and teen and then gave it up for life like most guys.  I had two false starts getting back to the hobby in my 20s. Each time I set out to build a model car and failed badly.  I made the same mistakes I did as a kid!  And that was a problem. I was approaching the hobby with the same skill set I had back then.  

The third time I attempted modeling was the charm.  The difference this time was that I found a model club and the guys there coached me through the hurdles of becoming a decent builder. First hurdle was that I had to admit I needed help, and then to be humble enough to accept it.  Then I learned the magic.  The guys in the club didn't have greater talents than me, they knew the tricks of the right materials, the right techniques! What separated us was that I hadn't thought of these things on my own. I suspect they didn't either, which is why we are always happy to help the next guy.

Thirty years later I build as well as I feel I want to!  Like others I build what the voices in my head tell me to build and am thrilled when my vision actually takes shape in 3D.  

Keep plugging away,  take pictures, show us where you need help and people will offer assistance. You should always focus on making the next model just a bit better than the last one. Good luck!