Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's with the pics?

Jon Cole

Lately, I find many of the photos on here are distorted. They appear quite large, and square. Not landscape  or portrait format like most forum photos. The cars are distorted as a result. Is this a problem with my settings? Thanks for reading.

Your photos are too big, the forum is squeezing them to fit within the allowed max. Shoot smaller photos.

Not my photos. Other folks photos are appearing like that. Quite annoying to view. Kind of takes the fun out of it.

Your photos are too big, the forum is squeezing them to fit within the allowed max. Shoot smaller photos.

Many people don't know how to adjust the photo size. They may not even know that they can be adjusted. I just convinced a friend that his camera phone has a zoom feature. He insisted it didn't.

What are you viewing the photos on. We went through this discussion not that long ago. It is usually a setting on your end that is trying to fit a photo into a view area. Your browser shouldn't distort the photos, it should make you have to scroll to see a large photo.

Maybe the browser got zoomed in. I use Firefox (other browsers may do the same) and to zoom in and out to either enlarge the photos or the text you hold ctrl and rotate the mouse wheel. This does help my getting poor vision and when zoomed in too much squishes the photos as you describe.

If it was my browser, wouldn't it be doing that to all photos? It appears to be a select few people who has distorted pics.

It does it to everything. I use it to enlarge text so I can read. Ctrl-mouse wheel and see ..  It holds the setting until you change the magnification.

This was just suggested as a possibility.

• 3 months later...

This problem is getting worse. More people are posting photos that are large, square, and distorted. Note: SOME people, not everyone. I just don't understand why it is apparently just me? My browser is Edge 38 on Windows 10.

This problem is getting worse. More people are posting photos that are large, square, and distorted. Note: SOME people, not everyone. I just don't understand why it is apparently just me? My browser is Edge 38 on Windows 10.

It's not just you; if the photo is too wide to fit your browser on this forum it gets a "shrink to fit" treatment so the whole image is visible w/o a scroll bar. There are multiple ways you can temporarily zoom out on the web page so the pics aren't pre-shrunk. I use the Ctrl and minus keys to zoom out, and Ctrl and plus keys to zoom back in afterwards. Or use Ctrl and mouse scroll button. Let's just say that the forum software has a lot of bugs, quirks and glitches and leave it at that.

Bob, thanks! I think that's it! I always keep my screen resolution @ 125%, as it just makes everything easier to see. Most time this is not a problem. But it does seem to be enough to distort certain pics.
Most photo hosting sites afaik can reduce uploaded photos by whatever percent desired. If folks could do that, it would be a world of help. My eyes are not what they used to be, apparently.