Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford 8N - Ferguson conversion

cool.How many mods need to be made to turn the te 20 into the 8n?.my Ferguson is still on its way from France.I'm intetested in your take on this.lookin great..keep a going.....Chris 

First of all the Hood Needs to be modified like I did it. The grill must be changed as well. Next is the engine . The 8N has a 4 Cylinder Flathead engine. I would recommend one of the Model A engines from Revell, although it they are 1/25. I'll go for a V8 Flathead from a '50 F1 and again it is 1/25. Otherwise I'll see if TDR has a 3D printed Flatty in 1/24. The Transmission can be used because the Fergy has a 4 Speed. I you want to build a 9N or 2N you have modify it because These tractor had a 3 Speed. The Dashboard has to be modified as well. Check out Old Ford Tractors for more Information.

Would the flathead 4 banger out of the old 1/24 monogram Model A series of kits work?  Not as detailed as the revell version but not horrible either.  And being 1/24 scale it should look right as well. Should be lots of those around from all the kits that got hot rodded over the years. I know I have several still on the trees in my stash.

Would the flathead 4 banger out of the old 1/24 monogram Model A series of kits work?  Not as detailed as the revell version but not horrible either.  And being 1/24 scale it should look right as well. Should be lots of those around from all the kits that got hot rodded over the years. I know I have several still on the trees in my stash.

I think yes. 

Another question for a ...

1.do you know if the Ferguson TE20 was used in the states as it is in the kit?

and thank you for the info and web site.nice work carsntrucks4you

The TE20 was sold in the US and Canada as the TO20 with some changes. The TO20(Tractor Overseas 20 horsepower) used a Continental Z120 engine instead of the Standard wet liner 4 cylinder that the TE20 (Tractor England 20 horsepower) used. However, from the research I've done, it appears that the kit represents an early TE20, which would have the Continental engine. Other differences are in the brake pedals, the TO20 has both brake pedals on the right side of the tractor, where the TE20 has the left brake pedal on the left side same as the 9 and 2 N Fords. The TO20 also has platforms under the pedals like the 8 N Ford.

The TE20 was sold in the US and Canada as the TO20 with some changes. The TO20(Tractor Overseas 20 horsepower) used a Continental Z120 engine instead of the Standard wet liner 4 cylinder that the TE20 (Tractor England 20 horsepower) used. However, from the research I've done, it appears that the kit represents an early TE20, which would have the Continental engine. Other differences are in the brake pedals, the TO20 has both brake pedals on the right side of the tractor, where the TE20 has the left brake pedal on the left side same as the 9 and 2 N Fords. The TO20 also has platforms under the pedals like the 8 N Ford.

ok,

1.so are there pictures  of the platforms on the TO20?

2.so I understand the TO20 was the States version?

Thank you Bill for the info......Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice work... will be following for i will build one as the tractor i learned to operate on (which is currently owned by my uncle :) )

Also didnt i see where the kit had the ford parts as well to build it as a ford n? for i also believe the lug nut spacing on the rears are a bit different to?

They are about the same size tractors since they came out of the same design philosophy and purpose. As far as I've been able to determine there are no identical parts. One rumor was a couple of defecting Ford engineers brought a set of Ford 2N drawings with them to Ferguson after the Ford and Ferguson split.

Ford 1949 8N-Ferguson 1951 TO30 front.JPG

Ford 1949 8N-Ferguson 1951 TO30 ft lf.jpg

Ford 1949 8N-Ferguson 1951 TO30 ft rt.JPG

Ford 1949 8N-Ferguson 1951 TO30 controls.jpg

Ford 1949 8N-Ferguson 1951 TO30 side rt.jpg

Ford 1942 9N war steel-Ferguson TO30 ft rt.JPG