Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photobucket O' Trash!

Anybody else just about ready to give Photobucket the "heave ho"?

I've just about had all that I can take!

Every time I go to the site to try to manage my folders it's just a nightmare!

Occasionally, it freezes up my whole computer.

The rest of the time it just takes forever to get anything done.

Not sure why I waste my time with this inferior pile of dung!

I think it's about time to switch all of my activity to Fotki.

Steve

I've always been on Fotki. The paid account is worth it.  Sign up for one year.  They have extension specials on a regular basis where you can re-up for up to five years. They did have some issues a few years ago until they moved their operation off shore.  They've been pretty consistent the past few years.  I recommend!

Every few months P-bucket seems to have some problems. So far, they've always had them cleared up in a few days.

I haven't seen the logic in transferring hundreds of photos to another site that may have its own issues....and IF you transfer all your photos, everything that's om P-bucket NOW will disappear from all of your earlier posts.

Simply too much hassle for me at this point in time. I'd rather let them get their stuff figured out, as they always do, than reinvent a wheel that only fails occasionally.

Every few months P-bucket seems to have some problems. So far, they've always had them cleared up in a few days.

I haven't seen the logic in transferring hundreds of photos to another site that may have its own issues....and IF you transfer all your photos, everything that's om P-bucket NOW will disappear from all of your earlier posts.

Simply too much hassle for me at this point in time. I'd rather let them get their stuff figured out, as they always do, than reinvent a wheel that only fails occasionally.

Once again, you and I seem to be on the same page.

Sometimes PB reminds me of The Lovely Mrs. Snake: Every so often there are "issues" that make me want to pull the rest of my hair out, but sooner or later everything sorts itself out, and the hassle of getting rid of it and starting over with Something Else at this point would just be TOO big a PITA (and doesn't guarantee a future trouble-free existence, anyway). Ah shucks oh well.

I've had a Photo bucket account for awhile now and don't have any issues with them at all.

It's definitely an intermittent thing, and if you're not a heavy user, you may not happen to EVER be on when they're having problems.

AdBlock helps the photo upload speed...but it sometimes takes an extra couple of seconds for the load to start as the ads think about trying to run and get slammed by the blocker. 

The paid account seems to be a little more reliable than the free one was too, but that may be coincidence. It's cheap at $2.99 per month (the way I do it) and I never miss the money.

Occasionally the site will be offline, sometimes off-and-on, for days on end...and a check of one of the services that pings websites will verify that, yes, P-bucket is down.

But like I aid, they've always fixed it so far, so I'm OK with an occasional inconvenience.

Valid point.  If you decide to go to another service, leave your PB account intact so the photos will still be visible in your posts here.  It drives me crazy when someone comments on a five year old thread and all the photos are missing.

Lately when I post pics to PB the photo is posted twice. I have no idea why.

Occasionally I've had one photo load duplicates within a group of several. No idea why either, but just delete the extra one and everything is happy.

Occasionally I've also had one fail to load out of a group of several. Just re-load the missing one (denoted in the upload by a red X), all is bliss. :D

In my case, all of the above have happened but lately it is hard just to open it.

The website is it down right now pinged it   http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/photobucket.com.html  and reports P-bucket down for maintenance.  :(

It's been off and on all morning.

This is typical, and it will probably be back up and working in a day or three.

You can check the status anytime by clicking the link above.    :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've been having intermittent and serious stability issues with Photobucket for many months now, perhaps going all the way back to their "upgrade" much more than a year ago. The issues vary and P-bucket tends to come back to stability for periods of time, but every time I go their, or link to my photos, I fear there will be problems.

Currently I can't load a page on Photobucket without refreshing the screen first. And the other day I linked an update to my current project  here on MCM to an image on P-bucket and it corrupted the web address of the MCM page so that it eventually crashed my ability to load MCM altogether. Neither Dave Ambrose or I could figure it out, but linking to a different photo hosting service solved the problem. Thanks to Dave Ambrose for being so patient while I worked through this.

Anyway, the important thing is that I may have discovered a FREE hosting service that's simple, effective, and robust. It's called Postimage.org and it appears to be growing like wildfire, probably because it's basic architecture is similar to Photobucket, and with serious technical issues a constant threat at P-bucket users like me are scouring the internet for alternatives. If you go to their home page, however, you'll see that they are in danger of closing down as a result of their success. It reminds me of Fotki a few years back, where they faced bankruptcy unless they changed their business model.

I'm a long time user of Photobucket, exclusively for posting to Forums, and have many, many images in my accounts there. Necessarily I must maintain my accounts with them if my images are to link successfully from my various forum posts. But I was planning to gradually introduce Postimage.org into the mix. Right now I have less than a dozen images linked to Postimage so there's no serious problem as long as Photobucket gets its house in order, which it appears to, only to break down again in a few weeks or months.

Fingers crossed that Postimage.org makes it. Besides Fotki's pay service, can anyone make recommendations for other reliable hosting services, preferably with a free version?

Edited by Bernard Kron

I always use google chrome as a web browser, and you need to add an extension called ad-block. And that will take care of pretty much 90 percent of your problems with photobucket. That site is such an ad-stricken site its ridiculous.

I run Internet Explorer 11 under Windows 10 and it is generally very robust and stable. I use ad-blocking as well. But I still have chronic instability with Photobucket, and historically Photobucket goes down entirely quite often, as it has today. Generally on the order of at least once every 90 days, and in some stretches, far more often. Your comment about serving ads to excess is the key, IMHO. The main reason I use an ad blocker is not because the ads offend me - if they were served up quickly and smoothly and were seamless with my web experience I would have no problem. But ads in their current form radically slow down page loads, are intrusive. and often render the web page unstable. Wed video with audio is the worst in all these regards. It underscores that the basic reality of "high tech", especially on the Internet, is that it's based on a model based on free or very low-cost market prices supplemented by value-added services such as web-stats and advertising. It's a poor way to run businesses that are often based on expensive, crude, complex and high maintenance technologies. A market clearing price of $0.00 has never been a sure-fire formula for success.

I always use google chrome as a web browser, and you need to add an extension called ad-block. And that will take care of pretty much 90 percent of your problems with photobucket. That site is such an ad-stricken site its ridiculous.

I've found that it usually works better with Chrome, too. At least if it crashes or locks me up while I'm trying to do something in Chrome, it doesn't screw up my other browser which I'm using for almost everything else.

I've always been on Fotki. The paid account is worth it.  Sign up for one year.  They have extension specials on a regular basis where you can re-up for up to five years. They did have some issues a few years ago until they moved their operation off shore.  They've been pretty consistent the past few years.  I recommend!

Same here Fotki member since 2004...3712 photos on Fotki with 99 gb still to go.

11:46 AM PDT (2:46 PM EDT) I confirm it's up again and working far more smoothly that it has in many days. As usual with these web businesses we will never know what happened are whether it's a real fix or temporary. Only time will tell...

EDIT @ 11:50 - Oops. Still buggy. Page loads still crash and must be refreshed. Darn!

EDIT @11:55 AM - Successfully posted test image from P-bucket to previously buggy MCM thread... - fingers crossed...

Edited by Bernard Kron