Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1965 Grand Prix - Done

gtx6970

Started this one a few months back. Painted it back in September I think. Along they way I had some issues I had to decide if I was going to correct or not ( decided to leave them as is and finish it )  I'm not 100% happy with how the paint layed down.

Its the recent Round2 reissue in the large flat box , molded in white. Built 100% box stock . ( I tend to loose interest if I go hog crazy with details )

I actually dug out and blew the dust off my airbrush to do this one.  Painted with a base coat of Light Iris metallic I had  mixed locally , then topped it with  3 coats Upol rattle can urethane clear . After a few days using my sanding pads and rubbing compounds Went to work on it tosee if I could make it where I was happy with it. And  I get it to look pretty slick. Interior is simple semi gloss black from Sems with some silver and wood grain details brush painted .

Chassis and engine compartment are Duplicolor semi gloss black . Engine is dupli-color Pontiac engine blue enamel.

Comments good or bad more then welcome.

Thanks for looking in

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00954.JPG

DSC00953.JPG

DSC00940.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

Few more

DSC00949.JPG

These last 2 probably are the best to show the true color

DSC00959.JPG

And Yes, I know I'm missing the air cleaners.  ( oddly enough they are molded in white plastic and NOT on the chrome tree )  Need to figure out to make them look like chrome instead of painted plastic . And the kit doesnt have an upper radiator hose either.

DSC00958.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

What a great color, it really looks perfect on those body lines. Chevrolet offered the same thing on the Impalas called Evening Orchid, not sure about Olds or Buick. Not sure about what the air cleaners look like but you might even try Bare Metal Foil.  

Thanks all. I had actually stumbled on  the pic of the 1/1 car before I bought the model.  So when the model was released I just had to have it .

I just wish my photographic skills were good enough to capture the true color I see in person. It looks killer in my case

Especially the outside sunlight pics  REALLY make the metallic look so much bigger than it does in person

Thanks all. I had actually stumbled on  the pic of the 1/1 car before I bought the model.  So when the model was released I just had to have it .

I just wish my photographic skills were good enough to capture the true color I see in person. It looks killer in my case

Especially the outside sunlight pics  REALLY make the metallic look so much bigger than it does in person

I think you may have a little of the same outlook as I do.

Sometimes the color will actually dictate the next build.

A lot of the time, I'll see a color & know instantly where I'm going to use it, & if it's something I really like, it may bump a given project to the front of the line.

Other kits may sit for years before I can decide on a color for it.

Steve