Model Cars Magazine Forum

GSL 2017...SIX MONTHS AHEAD...ARE YOU STILL PLANNING TO BE THERE?

simonr

I will be there so count me in. I can't wait for it again. Its one of the best shows in my opinion.

Russell... I am almost positive and believe that Randy D will be there this year. I believe he will also be at the Desert Scale Classis as well prior to the GSL.

Will most definitely be there !!!!!!

For my area of the country(Colorado/Arizona/Utah)  every other year I get to do the best double double in model car shows,  the Desert Scale Classic in April and GSL right after.

I would like to broaden my horizons and attend shows on both the left side and the right side some day soon:D

Randy

...I've retired from the yellow 3-wheeled running gag for the "Group" category since I snagged the Ed Roth award for my last '56 Victoria...

I'll be at the GSL for my first time. I've been thinking about building/entering a yellow 3-wheel Ford as a tribute to your tradition. It could be funny if there were a bunch of yellow 3-wheel Ford models there from a variety of builders.

....been thinking about building/entering a yellow 3-wheel Ford as a tribute to your tradition. It could be funny if there were a bunch of yellow 3-wheel Ford models there from a variety of builders.

Happy to pass the torch on that running joke to any who want to take it up. Keep in mind, however, that my gag was in the "Group" specialty category where the GSL people choose the kit for the contestants to build. In the upcoming GSL, it's the AMT 1969 Chevy Corvair. That's not to say a modeler couldn't apply the gag look to any car, of course. Coincidence it was mostly Fords chosen for the "Group" category, but one year they chose the AMT '53 Studebaker Starliner, which I made to look like a famous old Jim Keeler Charger model. One could have endless fun re-interpreting cars to be missing one wheel ....

• 3 months later...

Happy to pass the torch on that running joke to any who want to take it up. Keep in mind, however, that my gag was in the "Group" specialty category where the GSL people choose the kit for the contestants to build. In the upcoming GSL, it's the AMT 1969 Chevy Corvair. That's not to say a modeler couldn't apply the gag look to any car, of course. Coincidence it was mostly Fords chosen for the "Group" category, but one year they chose the AMT '53 Studebaker Starliner, which I made to look like a famous old Jim Keeler Charger model. One could have endless fun re-interpreting cars to be missing one wheel ....

My 3-wheel yellow Ford entry is coming along, although it's a semi-serious design. Transforming the floor/frame/suspension of a 4-wheeled car into a 3 is much more time consuming than I had counted on. However, it's a really good artistic/engineering challenge. I've sent in my GSL competitor registration. How many others here (that we haven't heard from yet) are planning to be there?

• 3 weeks later...

Are GSL entrants posting progress pix of their entries? If so, I don't see them on this or other model car sites. Is there an unspoken protocol to keep them "secret" so their debut will be in Salt Lake City? This will be my first time at a GSL. My two entries are coming along but I'm really going to have to hustle to finish them. My reason for designing/building/entering them is to try out some styling ideas that, I hope, will get people talking. My intention isn't to win awards, it's more to see if my work attracts attention, so I won't be detailing them down to the last fuel line or emergency brake cable bracket.

So, if it's OK to post your entries let's see what you're working on in the "On The Workbench" section — preferably with GSL in the subject line.

Edited by chepp

...Is there an unspoken protocol to keep them "secret" so their debut will be in Salt Lake City?....

None that I've ever heard of, and I've been attending GSL since 1990. My Ford Y-block engine WIP thread was for a 'semi-secret' model going to the prior GSL, but that was just my own fun over messing with people's minds. This time around I have the thread going for my gluebomb restoration that's just going to be on the display table, but I also started taking photos today of another relatively quickie project for a WIP thread of a car I do plan on entering, but which will not likely win any awards. I'm about a third of the way through that latter one.

• 3 weeks later...

One month left (presuming a day or two for getting to Salt Lake City). I'm only about a month behind in my building. I'll have to double my building time just to break even. How are you progressing?

You can see what I'm doing here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/121481-3-wheeled-ford-for-2017-gsl/#comment-1770703 .

Edited by chepp