Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reissued 1970 pontiac question about a few parts

Hi all, not sure if this is the thread to ask these questions but it has to do with the re issued 1970 Pontiac, I bought the kit for the parts for my freaky tiki build. It showed flippers, but those are not in the kit, but there are two parts not listed on the instruction sheet that I am curious as what they are. Does any body know what these two parts are? The parts are the one in the black circle that I tried to draw on the pic.

IMG_2480.JPG.opt570x570o0%2C0s570x570.JP

IMG_2482.JPG.opt570x570o0%2C0s570x570.JP

Beer six-packs?

Landman, they could be that, here is a pic of the bottom of the parts. The camera on my phone will not get up close to the top of the parts but they do not look like that from the top of the part, I am thinking maybe they have to do with some other scuba gear... Just wish they would have added the flippers thou.

IMG_2481.JPG.opt570x570o0%2C0s570x570.JP

Edited by Darren B

Craig, that was my idea as well except the tops are kinda strange , did your kit come with the swimming flippers?

No, but the side of my box that shows the "accessories" doesn't show them either like on the box art. But, it does show a face mask which those could also be as spiral cell batteries didn't exist until sometime in the '90's or so. This kit seems to be a true "retro kit", because how many modern tool kits do you think would include a spear gun as an accessory?!:blink::P

No, but the side of my box that shows the "accessories" doesn't show them either like on the box art. But, it does show a face mask which those could also be as spiral cell batteries didn't exist until sometime in the '90's or so. This kit seems to be a true "retro kit", because how many modern tool kits do you think would include a spear gun as an accessory?!:blink::P

True, very true on the spear gun, after de-chroming of course, one of the accessories that will be in my freaky tiki build, thank you for the info.

Edited by Darren B

The face mask should be there on the runner of clear parts.  It was present on the Model King issue.

I don't think the flippers were ever included in the '70 Bonneville kit.  The original '69 annual had the scuba parts, and it also contained a few custom interior parts molded in soft white vinyl, along with flippers molded in the same material.  I believe the soft vinyl parts were all missing from the '70 annual, even though the flippers were included on the box art.    

The face mask should be there on the runner of clear parts.  It was present on the Model King issue.

I don't think the flippers were ever included in the '70 Bonneville kit.  The original '69 annual had the scuba parts, and it also contained a few custom interior parts molded in soft white vinyl, along with flippers molded in the same material.  I believe the soft vinyl parts were all missing from the '70 annual, even though the flippers were included on the box art.    

Thanks Mike, Yes the face mask is with the clear parts. Pretty good molding I might add. The flippers I can probably scratch build however, I think ill give that a try.

Edited by Darren B

You mean the Optima batteries?

Yeah, those would be the batteries I was referring to, Nick. Optima is (was?) the most common brand of them, but I am pretty sure I have seen them, or something very close, in other brands (maybe Dekka or Exide?), too.

Here is the page from the original MPC release, showing optional parts (courtesy of Drastic Plastics) site.  The flippers were thermoformed rubber and the six packs are there as well.  Optima batteries did not exist at that time AFAIK, so my guess is they are six packs of beverage.  The flippers were not in the Model King reissue a few years back with the boat.

MPC 1969 Pontiac Bonneville CV 002

MPC 1969 Pontiac Bonneville 005

Well, a fire extinguisher was included :D.  But it could have been cans of sodaB)

It was 1970, I doubt very much those were cans of soda! I'm surprised they didn't add some other "recreational substances" to the accessory list!:D After all, someone did think it would be cool to turn a Bonneville convertible into a pick up truck!:wacko: