Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Plymouth Fury

mangodart

Beautiful model. This old body style is rapidly becoming one of my favorites from the era, and I'm also in agreement that the Torque Thrusts look good on just about anything.

Part of the reason for their appeal may be that they were among the first of the real lightweight wheels made for racing, and their appearance was somewhat secondary to their function.

To me, clean functionality is always more attractive than overstyled designs that are about appearance first, with function running a distant second.

That looks great! Love those old Mopars! One nit pick: the chrome strips on the sides look way too wide compared to the photo on the box. Good work, though!

Sam

If you look at photos of '62 Plymouths, you will find many trim differences across the model line. Same thing with the number of tail lamps. This always drives me nuts. Just found photos with the wide trim and a much slimmer trim piece  on the front fenders.

The model is cast with the wide trim that would have been found on a Sport Fury but it also comes with standard Fury tail lamps. :mellow:

Fat trim:

8f60c14e1a40a7b876fdb747d7f95b52.thumb.j

Skinny trim:

1962.thumb.jpg.03784a713e23bc131d07d1360

Edited by 6bblbird

If you look at photos of '62 Plymouths, you will find many trim differences across the model line. Same thing with the number of tail lamps. This always drives me nuts. Just found photos with the wide trim and a much slimmer trim piece  on the front fenders.

The model is cast with the wide trim that would have been found on a Sport Fury but it also comes with standard Fury tail lamps. :mellow:

Fat trim:

8f60c14e1a40a7b876fdb747d7f95b52.thumb.j

Skinny trim:

1962.thumb.jpg.03784a713e23bc131d07d1360

Are they the same model?

The burgundy one also has a chrome spear running all the way from the tip of the front fender to the tip of the rear fender under the side windows.

From what I've been able to figure out, the Sport Fury is the one with the thin trim & triple tail lights.

So the Johan kit with the wide trim & double tail lights would be correct.

Steve

188764_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg113474_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

The '62 Dodge Dart 440 (equivalent to the non-sport Fury) received an optional additional side trim package, based in part on the Polara 500 version, at mid-year.  It was not widely advertised (I recall first seeing it in my Dad's Business Week magazine, in an ad targeted at fleet buyers), but it was intended to address the "chopped up" side view that concerned Dodge Dealers and others after seeing the original Exner design.  

I recall reading that the Plymouth Fury got a similar optional treatment at mid-year, again intended to make the car look longer with a full front to rear side molding.  I believe this info may have been conveyed in Collectible Auto magazine.  Perhaps the differences in the cars above can be traced to that mid-model-year trim option on the Fury.  

TIM 

Thanks for the nice comments, good to see it brings so much talk !!!  I had some trouble also when doing my research before working on it !!! ;) Looks like I forgot the surrounding chrome from the rear license plate looking at your pics !!! ;)

Edited by mangodart