Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Oldsmobile - Curtis Turner @ Daytona Beach

curt raitz

Curtis Turner being my favorite "Old Timer" NASCAR driver, I had to build a model of the 1950 Olds he raced at Daytona Beach in 1950.

I started with the very nice 1/25th Revell '50 Oldsmobile kit and decals from "Gopher Racing". The only part of the build I'm not sure of was the color across the the nose of the car. There are only a couple of pictures of the car, could not tell if it was a light yellow or off white. Tamiya Racing White TS-7 has a slight yellow cast to it, so that's what I painted it. The body was painted Chariot Red from ScaleFinishes.

Great looking Olds, nicely done. I do believe the nose of the actual car was not painted a light color, it was all taped up with wide masking tape to protect the finish. The cars were really stock back then and often they'd sell the car after racing it, or trade it in on a new one :)

Great looking Olds, nicely done. I do believe the nose of the actual car was not painted a light color, it was all taped up with wide masking tape to protect the finish. The cars were really stock back then and often they'd sell the car after racing it, or trade it in on a new one :)

that does make sense, well at least the TS-7 is dang close in color to masking tape.

I'll just have to knock down the gloss finish to replicate a masking tape finish.

Edited by curt raitz

Very nice model, Curt!  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I'm a big fan of your work.  So much so that today, at a not-so-local hobby shop, I picked up the 50 Olds kit and gave it some considerable thought.  In the end I didn't buy it but I wouldn't have even considered buying a 50 Olds had it not been for seeing your great model.

Very nice model, Curt!  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I'm a big fan of your work.  So much so that today, at a not-so-local hobby shop, I picked up the 50 Olds kit and gave it some considerable thought.  In the end I didn't buy it but I wouldn't have even considered buying a 50 Olds had it not been for seeing your great model.

Thank You

If you ever do pick up this kit, you will be glad you did. 

This is a very well engineered kit, no flash to speak of and it builds up quite effortlessly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...