Model Cars Magazine Forum

40 Willy's Gasser Pick Up......Office build

Davewilly

I get to work 2 hours early everyday to beat traffic being work and home are 39 miles apart one way....If I leave my house 15 mins later than I do I sit in traffic for 1-1/2 hours doing nothing...leave when I do (4am) I have no traffic....So I am here early if I have OT and do it then...If no OT I figured I might as well bring a kit in and some building supplies and use my time on the hobby...being anymore time at home is hard to come by these days.

The kit I am starting with is the AMT 40 Willy's re issue.  I have already built the coupe a few years ago that was from an original release of the kit that I was given by a neighbor.  So when the kit came out I wanted to build the truck to go with it.

So here is what I have so far...not much to see really....but I have done prep work on the body removing the mold lines & push pin marks.  assembled the engine block and painted it and the tranny.  I scratch built new shocks, added 2 brackets to the frame for the front brake lines. added the rear brake line to the rear end housing and made a little brake metering valve for the frame.   So far everything you see here has been done in my office....Even the spray painting the frame and suspension!.  ( I close my door put down a big piece of cardboard from the white board we have...that is still behind the door and not hung up... and spray away...give it a couple mins and then open back up my door) 

I plan on building it all here.  I will probably take the body parts home so I can paint it and clear it with the airbrush.  

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Davewilly

Hey Dave, I like where your build is going. Before I retired I would do most of my building and a lot of painting at my office during my lunch break. Do you only build a work or do bring it back an forth? I started off carrying my stuff in a tackle box but ended up finally using a rollaround computer/office bag. I worked in a cubical and spraying was relegated to the outside fire escape landing during lunch.

Hey Dave, I like where your build is going. Before I retired I would do most of my building and a lot of painting at my office during my lunch break. Do you only build a work or do bring it back an forth? I started off carrying my stuff in a tackle box but ended up finally using a rollaround computer/office bag. I worked in a cubical and spraying was relegated to the outside fire escape landing during lunch.

Hey Carl,  This one I am building just at the office.  I have a couple others at home on the bench that I work on there when I can get away from the house projects..So I have a set of set in both places. being over the years I seem to have ended up with 2 or 3 of pretty much all my small hand tools needed...and paints.. I brought in my supplies  Nippers, excato, files/sanding sticks, glue, tube of filler in the kit box in a plastic grocery bag along with the Halo glasses and a can of blank and gray primer.  Then ended up bringing in my evergreen stuff as well.

I am in a 12 story office building...I am on the 9th floor...on our floor all the suites are all leased by individuals, small start ups or satellite offices (like mine) for companies with multiple locations.  My office co-worker doesnt come in until 7am   amd I am here at 4:45-5am  so I just paint first thing so the smell is gone before he gets in..lol   But he is interested in models also...and talks about building them when he was a kid  (he is 60)  I think he might want to try a kit after he gets settled in a bit more..So it might work out good!  

• 1 month later...

Small update.....I have not had much time to work on this lately...OT has kicked in over the last 5 weeks so I have lost my free time in the mornings.

I have managed to mount the front end hinge and get it all filled in and primered (not pictured)  I was able to get all the brake lines mounted.  I tried a little something different on these by sliding some wiring insulation over the solder from the baking plate to the frame mount tab for the lines for the rubber hose look. and the same for the one on the rear end. Painted the starter and tranny and put on the oil pan and installed the ladder bars.  and then did a quick mock-up.

Thanks for looking!

• 5 weeks later...

Well I was able to get some more done to the Willys.

I added a cross member piece (doesnt show up in the photo being black) to the chassis for the top of the shocks to attach to and to add a touch more detail to the chassis.  I added a band of .010x.080 evergreen plastic around the wheels right behind the bead lip so the tires would fit tighter on the wheels & shortened the metal axle for a better fit.  I should get the front shocks and the tie rods on today at lunch to finish up the rolling chassis.   I am working on adding some fuel injector lines next and then will start the interior to get it sorted out.

Thanks for looking!

Small update...

stripped the chrome from the headers and valve covers.  Painted the valve covers semi gloss black and the headers white. All the wheels are now glued on...so its a rolling chassis now.  Working on detailing the engine a bit and trying to figure what color I am doing the interior so I can get it painted and get it moving along.

Thanks for looking.

really clean and well done dave!!  looks like you're having fun!

Thanks Dave Nothing near what you are doing!   But still fun and helps pass some non work time...I might as well use it for some model building being I dont get any when I am at home.

• 2 weeks later...

A small update to the willys..Got the headers installed.  I had to raise the engine up slightly...due to a over site on me...the starter was hitting the proportioning valve for the brakes, I didnt have the started mounted when I was placing it on the frame.......and did some work on the interior..nothing fancy ...I have a little clean up to do on the dash and I am calling it done.

This shows what can be done with skill and patience!

This kit is fiddly and simplified, I say so what? Are we not supposed to be craftsmen?
This is one Willys that the snob rivet counter love to trash, "OH THAT FRONT END"!!! LOL

Yep. It's not Willys microscopic  accurate, but close enough and can fit and look good in the hands of a capable modeler such as yourself.

Keep us posted, very nice work!

Hey Guys thanks for the complements!

Dave:  Thank you...It wasnt easy cutting those little suckers out with a pair of office scissors!

Chris: Thanks!

Gary:  Yeah its not the best of kits as far as fit goes...But with some trimming and shimming and the parts box you can make it look pretty ok.

Bob: Thank you!

Tim:  Thanks!  And on the color I am not sure....I think I am leaning towards Orange....Maybe a faded look like the base coat no clear...a little TLC needed... Like Grandpa gave it to his Grandson to play with after it was sitting covered up in the garage since 1975.....Will see how that works out for me!