Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it just me, or has the site slowed down again?

russosborne

I am also getting that pop up message. I run an ad blocker and it is still pretty slow.

I know it is limited on what can be done on the admin end. The only other option would be to switch to another program and/or server. Unfortunately, that would probably mean we would have to pay to use this site. Not to mention the extra work that would create for someone. Keeping a popular site up and running isn't cheap.

I think most of us can put up with the site being slow, even if it is a bit aggravating at times

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the problem, but it's definitely a problem.

I've been experiencing intermittent slowdowns for a while. They didn't seem to correlate to anything happening on this site, and a few other sites were affected too. But, as I discovered last night, having a Facebook tab caused my Firefox browser to consume memory like there's no tomorrow. It eventually fills its memory and things slow to a crawl. I started closing my Facebook tab, and things have been working much better.

I don't know if this is affecting anyone else, but I put it out there as something to try.

Dave,

I don't have a "Facebook tab" on my computer.... Where would this "facebook tab" be?

He is referencing the fact that he had his Facebook page open and it was running simultaneously as the MCM forum and they both consumed "internet energy" and it seemed to be contributing to the problem.

If you don't do Facebook, then it doesn't apply to you, however, if you have other web pages open, it can cause a slowdown. Kind of kinking the water hose and slowing down the flow of water.

It appears to me when I first open the site everything is normal.  However after opening two or three posts it begins to slow way down, sometimes taking 30-45 seconds to open a post.  This only happens on this particular forum.

This is what happens to me as well, I just wait it out. I also run the AdBlocker that comes with Firefox and get the same results if it is on or off.

Another thing to look out for is Auto Updates to some of your programs. My wife recently had to roll back to previous install of Chrome because the latest update was playing havoc on her computer and giving her the Blue Screen of Death. All went away when she went back to older version.

So not all problems are automatically caused by this or any other website. Our computers can do funny things if things are not perfect, there are so many versions of the major programs we use that it is hard to keep optimum compatibility with them all.

So not all problems are automatically caused by this or any other website. Our computers can do funny things if things are not perfect, there are so many versions of the major programs we use that it is hard to keep optimum compatibility with them all.

Ain't that the truth! I'm in the middle right now of what looks to be a big fat update from Microsoft on my desktop (running Windows 10).

I dread this sometimes as it never fails there will be some program that doesn't like the update, and then I have to put on my computer geek hat to sort out why and what program won't play nice. It's no wonder more and more people are switching to tablets (I have a Samsung one) as they're a bit more user friendly when it comes to updates, but I hate trying to type on those things. Not to mention the puny hard drive space most give you.