Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it just me, or has the site slowed down again?

russosborne

And AGAIN, just now.

I tried to post the offending few lines HERE in THIS thread, and STILL got the 404 BS.

No bad words, no communist subversive messages, no non-PC remarks, no secret codes...just refusing to take a simple few-line response.

So...there's something in the response that's triggering the 404 message. How truly odd.

Maybe the internet is just getting old and grumpy like US. LOL 

Still by the day and by the hour how it works on my end. I do know if I run CC cleaner it works better for me most of the time. For the most part for what we pay to be in here it is fine. 

I will have to try the log out deal next time it acts funny.

I did some testing. I decided to try a couple of different browsers here on my laptop. I’m running Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-bit. I normally use Firefox as my default browser so I installed both Chromium, which is the open-source project that forms the basis for Google Chrome, and also installed Midori. Both of these browsers are reviewed and claimed to be faster than Firefox. I did a few different types of testing with each browser. The results are kind of funny.

Chromium and Midori proved to be faster than my current version of Firefox in overall web surfing. Midori actually increased my speed test results, which is a bit peculiar. Then came the testing on the forum. Really strange results there. Chromium offered faster page loads with little to no hesitation. Midori actually gave me trouble loading pages a couple of times. It only happened a couple of times, but it refused to load the page link I clicked on. If I toss out those two glitches, then Midori was MUCH faster than either Chromium or Midori.

Edited by smhardesty
Spelling error

I run uBlock Origin, don't see any ads, run Chrome, and this site hangs up frequently. I can open several tabs and they all hang up and after awhile they'll all finally open at the same time.

Meanwhile I can go to other pages on other sites and open multiple tabs without issue at the same time tabs from this page are all churning.

Today when answering a couple questions here the system churned and churned after I submitted the replies..I copied/pasted the replies just in case of 404 error. Didn't ultimately need to, but I know the problem is on this end, not mine.

Asking any more about my computer or system because this forum hangs up at this point is as silly as going to an auto parts store to buy an air freshener and being asked if I have an automatic or manual transmission.

I feel for you guys. I really do. I just don't know what else to recommend. I still have no problems, unless you count the occasional 1 or 2 second delay when loading a new page. Resolving computer problems of any kind is hundreds of times easier sitting in front of the computer with the problem instead of over the Internet or on the phone. There are just so many variables involved it's almost impossible to diagnose correctly when not in person.

Zoom Zoom, you'll just have to trust me when I say it's not at all like what you said. I would need to know what type computer you have, how much RAM, what processor, what video card with how much memory, exactly what release of what operating system, what OS updates, what browser and what version, what version of JAVA, What version of Flash, or if you're running a 3rd party substitute and that's just to start. I'd then need to know what anti-virus if any, what firewall if any, what apps have been installed and then removed, and the list goes on. It's not quite as clear cut as what you indicated. Problems with a transmission are finite. There is an exact number of parts in a transmission and they have to operate in an exact manner. With a computer on the Internet there are INFINITE possibilities of problems. I spent over 30 years working on computers of some sort. Believe me when I say that on more than one occasion the "fix" was something so far removed from what I would have first imagined it was laughable. And I'll readily admit that on more than one occasion I gave up on the "fix" and either worked around it or just reloaded the customer's PC.

You still need Java too? I got rid of that when they got hacked a few years back.

In short, yes. What you actually need is a Javascript enabled browser. Most users don't realize exactly how much scripting, as opposed the HTML coding, is involved with the websites they visit. This forum is extremely reliant on Javascript. The easiest way to see if Javascript is enabled and supported by your browser is to pop over to the Java tester page in the link below. At the top, middle of the screen is a box that states, "Test the version of Java used in this browser." Depending on your browser and the settings, you might get a pop up window asking for permission to allow the script to run. Once the test completes you'll get a window displaying "The version and vendor from the JRE". Then you'll know.

http://www.javatester.org/

I feel for you guys. I really do. I just don't know what else to recommend. I still have no problems, unless you count the occasional 1 or 2 second delay when loading a new page. Resolving computer problems of any kind is hundreds of times easier sitting in front of the computer with the problem instead of over the Internet or on the phone. There are just so many variables involved it's almost impossible to diagnose correctly when not in person.

Zoom Zoom, you'll just have to trust me when I say it's not at all like what you said. I would need to know what type computer you have, how much RAM, what processor, what video card with how much memory, exactly what release of what operating system, what OS updates, what browser and what version, what version of JAVA, What version of Flash, or if you're running a 3rd party substitute and that's just to start. I'd then need to know what anti-virus if any, what firewall if any, what apps have been installed and then removed, and the list goes on. It's not quite as clear cut as what you indicated. Problems with a transmission are finite. There is an exact number of parts in a transmission and they have to operate in an exact manner. With a computer on the Internet there are INFINITE possibilities of problems. I spent over 30 years working on computers of some sort. Believe me when I say that on more than one occasion the "fix" was something so far removed from what I would have first imagined it was laughable. And I'll readily admit that on more than one occasion I gave up on the "fix" and either worked around it or just reloaded the customer's PC.

Sorry, I just do not believe you or your theory. I'm all over the internet all the time, it's this forum alone w/the consistent issues. And this site isn't worth going through any flaming hoops to deal with.

You want my social security number too? Seriously...it's ridiculous to ask anyone for so much information when it is abundantly clear the problem is not on my end.

I'm certainly not about to argue with any of you guys. I'm simply stating that I have no problems what so ever on this website and I have have read hours and hours worth on here already. I spent over 30 years working in the computing industry. Whether you choose to believe that it IS necessary to know each of the things I've stated is certainly up to you.

For example, how many Javascript lines are involved in simply displaying this forum on your computer? Experience tells me that maybe one of you will know the answer, or how to obtain it without asking the webmaster. How many implementations of JAVA exist? And finally, what version fo JAVA/Javascript does the forum's server run? Without knowledge of how these variables work it's impossible to determine where the problem exists.

What you're asking for is the equivalent of emailing a doctor and asking him why you have a pain in your stomach. Think he'd answer you without asking about a hundred and one questions? Or would he even attempt? Most physicians would tell you to make an appointment to come in. It's possible that you had a reaction to food you ate at a family gathering that had no effect on any other member in your family. Such could be the case with the problem on this forum. I'm not seeing complaints from 100% of the members here. Possibly the glitch is between this forum and a select number of you guys that just happen to have the same installations of the same software.

I will also state that one of the very first things I do when I load a computer with the operating system and then the browser is to go deep into my browser settings and change a LOT of the defaults to those I know work for me. It's a matter of security for me, but it also prevents me from having some of the more common issues.

Zoom Zoom, I respect your opinion of the worthiness of the site, but my opinion differs. I find the comradery of like minded individuals worth any extra effort I need to put forth. I also take no offense at your remarks about about doubting my theory, but I will say I believe I have the qualifications and experience to state that my trouble shooting skills are solid. I am, or was, a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, an A+ Certified Technician, a Network+ Certified Technician, and completed most of the work and exams to become a Red Hat Certified Engineer (LINUX). I completed just enough of the work/exams to realize that I preferred Debian based distributions over Red Hat based. I began my career as a COBOL and FORTRAN programmer on IBM mainframe computers and continued learning and upgrading through the years to learn mainframe, midrange, and PC based systems. I developed a great many complex integrated business systems such as Walmart's order filling and report generating system. It was necessary to integrate mainframe, midrange and personal computers, along with the order filling headsets that employees used. This is just a small example of my training and experience, but I believe enough to say that your statement that "it's ridiculous to ask anyone for so much information when it is abundantly clear the problem is not on my end" may well be much more in error than my theories or trouble shooting routines. I am no longer gainfully employed in any manner, but I do on occasion offer advice or assistance where I can and where it is appreciated. Having said that, I wish you all a good day and the best of luck.

That's quite an impressive resume Steve! However, how does it help us?

I agree.

Steve, it's abundantly clear you mean well and would like to be able to fix the issue and I do appreciate that. But I can't shake the feeling of not being able to see the forest through the trees with this particular forum's performance issue(s); with your resume and experience you should volunteer to work with Dave Ambrose and the hosting company before asking us to chase our tails on common dead-end issues that never seem to get fixed for long periods of time. Ensuring that this forum's software and security is up to date, and the servers/hosting are all up to date should be enough, but we have no clue what is or isn't done behind the scenes. It's not that bad, it's just annoying, especially for those who lose posts that they've written. That hasn't happened to me, but it's clear it's an issue here. In the past this forum got so bad/unstable over time that it took a complete days-long update and reboot of the forum to get it working again. Then, as now, it always seemed an issue with this forum, not other forums or websites. 

Steve I was a IT tech from 1987 until just 2 years ago when I  retired.  I started out with Chrysler many years ago when they were working to convert they're  plants over to automated systems and eventually went out on my own working around the mid-west building servers and setting up networks for small and mid sized businesses. I too was Microsoft A+ certified as well as Sun Microsystems Certified. I worked with Microsoft Windows Server edition as well as Unix and several versions of Linux both server and desktop editions. I currently even have  my sons home computer setup running Linux. I've also set up and ran my own social media websites on my own servers running Apache server with php and java scripting. So I am very well aware of how running a site like this works. I also know that with so many people on the site using so many different platforms that there are times when the site software script and the users browsers can have compatibility issues. But the site scripting software itself can also be the cause of some users issues. I know when I ran my sites I was always updating the server software as well as the scripting software to keep up with security issues and patches. Not all of those updates played nice with my users systems all the time. And I also know It wasnt fair for me to always blame it on my users computers everytime several of them had issues with my site after I did updates to my servers. Especially when so many of them ran different OS's and browsers. For the most part even the most recent java script version is backward compatible. You should know that. So just because a user is using a older java script version doesnt mean if they are having a issue on a site that is java script based that their system is the culprit that they should rush to update it. You and I we know enough to keep it updated. But I leaned along time ago most home users are slow at updates on their computers. I also know that keeping the system and the browser cache cleaned out is one of the first things to do when a user is having a issue with a site. But not all users do or will. And it is not always the answer for the issues a user may be having on a site. Sometimes a Server side update causes a compatibility issue between the server side script and different users browsers. The easy answer would be to inform the user of the site updates and ask them to update their user side java script or browser software. But their were times on my own sites, where if the server side updates caused enough wide spread user issues, the only real solution was to roll back the server updates. Sometimes those updates created more problems than they solved.

Now for the issue at hand concerning the 404 error. I have had the issue off and on myself the past few days. And thats even after cleaning up my system and web browser and applying all the current updates for the system OS the browsers I use as well as the java end user script. So it is still a possibility that the issue is site server side. And no that does not mean that everyone would experience the problem if it were server side.

Anyways just my two cents worth.

Another 404 this morning at 09:00 approximately. Site refused to take a post I'd written in Word and pasted in the "what do you drive" thread.. Tried re-typing the entire thing on this site, same 404. Then the connection "timed out" and I got knocked off the site, couldn't re-connect until about 10:30.

This has happened before...getting knocked off the site shortly after the 404 message appeared repeatedly.

Let's put an end to this now and not bash folks for trying to help. The problems we are having are annoying, nothing more. This whole forum is basically a volunteer community, we all pitch in where we can and try to help out others. Steve (and others) are doing what they can, from the outside looking in.

Let's give Dave a chance to update the software. I know he is trying to find the time to do it. There is no Easy Button for an update and it can easily take an entire day to implement. He has to be there to troubleshoot and work through any issues that come up. Then after the update, we will have a whole new set of issues to annoy us (it always happens).

I have no computer or programming certifications. My only expertise is that I have been online since the early 80's. Experience has taught me that there are always problems, we will not be able to please everyone or fix everyone's problems, next week different people will have different problems. There are so many variables, both server side and on the user's end, that it is impossible to be fully compatible with everyone. Security settings on the server, with your internet provider and on your computer or device can also effect how software performs. There are some things the we have control over, some things the user has control over and some things none of us can control.

Just post your individual problems so that Dave knows the issues everyone is having. That may help him during the update process.

Let's put an end to this now and not bash folks for trying to help. The problems we are having are annoying, nothing more. This whole forum is basically a volunteer community, we all pitch in where we can and try to help out others. Steve (and others) are doing what they can, from the outside looking in.

Let's give Dave a chance to update the software. I know he is trying to find the time to do it. There is no Easy Button for an update and it can easily take an entire day to implement. He has to be there to troubleshoot and work through any issues that come up. Then after the update, we will have a whole new set of issues to annoy us (it always happens).

I have no computer or programming certifications. My only expertise is that I have been online since the early 80's. Experience has taught me that there are always problems, we will not be able to please everyone or fix everyone's problems, next week different people will have different problems. There are so many variables, both server side and on the user's end, that it is impossible to be fully compatible with everyone. Security settings on the server, with your internet provider and on your computer or device can also effect how software performs. There are some things the we have control over, some things the user has control over and some things none of us can control.

Just post your individual problems so that Dave knows the issues everyone is having. That may help him during the update process.

Well said and very true.

Yeah, no,  this site is slow, and it has nothing to do with the end user, plain and simple,  every other site loads just fine outside of this one.

Asking any more about my computer or system because this forum hangs up at this point is as silly as going to an auto parts store to buy an air freshener and being asked if I have an automatic or manual transmission.

Don't forget to get more blinker fluid why you are there.

I don't have problems with the site loading......  What gets my goat is, when I click on a thread title on the New Content listing, I get the "spinning wheel" for up to a minute sometimes before that thread actually opens.  Then, when I write a reply to post in a thread, it sometimes takes a minute for it to actually post.  It's very annoying and frustrating.  I use Google Chrome on an ASUS computer with plenty of memory and AdBlock Plus.