Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shorty Pete 359

Well, I finally have something finished to contribute. The inspiration for this truck was a vehicle owned by a local logging company I see running around from time to time. The actual truck is a square headlight 359 that is quite broken in and war weary. I decided to use the California Hauler to give the truck more age and I wanted to build one to kind of get a feel for some future projects. I shortened the chassis about four inches and swapped in the engine, transmission, rear suspension, wheels, and tires from the Diamond Reo kit. I had wanted to use the square air box from that kit as well but it interfered with the hood flipping so I had to build my own unit that resembles a round Diamond Reo piece. I had to move the firewall back about a quarter inch to fit the big Cummins in which necessitated changing the interior as well. I also hinged the hood, replaced the grill with screen, made the stack from aluminum tubing, and built the headache rack. Critiques and criticisms are welcome and appreciated.

20161105_002918.jpg

20161105_002835.jpg

20161105_002803.jpg

20161105_002701.jpg

20161105_002556.jpg

20161105_002735.jpg

20161105_002617.jpg

20161105_002643.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian
Relinked pics to fic Photobucket issue

This may possibly be my most favorite Peterbilt model ever!! I really like what you've come up with. The grill is one of my favorite parts. Great work!!

Thank you, I'm really proud of this one, this is probably the best thing I've ever built. The grill came about by accident, I tried a black wash over the painted stock grill but could never get it to look like I wanted. Then I got thinner on the silver and messed it up so I tried to strip it but couldn't get the silver off so I had to start with another grill and so I didn't mess it up too I cut the molded mesh out and replaced it with screen to look like a thin metal grate.

No criticism here Brian, that thing looks great! Its sure stout! I love all of the changes made. Its good to see something different done with this kit.  

All I can say is I like it. A LOT! Many modelers make their CH 359 kits all shiny and showy, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it's nice to see one done up the other way for a change. 

Yeah, it was nice to dirty one up after seeing so many pretty ones being posted. I've got plans for a few clean ones too but it was good to see some of the issues with the kit on a build that didn't have to be perfectly clean

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...