Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 Dodge Warlock build

DPNM

I plan to do my first attempt at a die-cast redo. There are a couple things I need to cover before I start the build post.

First and fore-most, I want to thank Jordan White for giving me the Warlock to make this build from. He also shipped it to me on his dime. I cannot thank him enough. It was very kind of him to do and it is something I intend to do for someone else.

Second, I am very anal when I build. That is why I got away from modelling. I want to keep adding features. I am going to try not to do that on this build so I don't just put it away and forget about it.

Third, there are a few things that I need. I would like to find the 5 slot mags (wheels/tires/backs) from the 1/18 Dodge Lil Red Truck die-cast. I plan to repaint the model and  also need someone who can make the gold decals in 1/18th. At present I do not have the 1/25th scale version of these decals for a decal maker to use for reference. I need to have them modified also (there are decals on the 1/25 sheet I don't want but there are things I want that aren't on it). If you have the wheels/tires/backs or can make the decals please PM me to discuss. I have stuff I can trade or ?

Fourth, I work a lot and I have a 1 to 1 scale project I am working on so I will post when I have some stuff worth posting. There may be delays.

OK then, let's get underway. I started on the interior. I am posting one of the reference pics I'm using. It's a '79 and my model is a '78 but I believe they are the same. I owned a '78 2wd Warlock "back in the day" and as of now this is the only way I can own one at the present time. I started by cutting off the seat frame to narrow it as there is more seat "over hang" than the model has. I also cut the arm-rest away. I was going to try to make the arm-rest move up and down but after spending hours trying to design it to work right I gave up. Too anal. I will glue it in the down position.

One thing that has struck me as being poor, the gas/brake and parking brake pedals are molded into the floor??? How cheap/cheesy is that? 1/24-1/25 usually at least have separate pieces attached to the dash!!! This issue will be rectified by my next post.

Pics:

used-1979-dodge-ram-powerwagonwarlockii4

warlock%20build%20003_zpsiunzoolb.jpg

warlock%20build%20002_zpsataqmoij.jpg

warlock%20build%20001_zps5njkvpue.jpg

warlock%20build%20005_zpskvrtzi9e.jpg

warlock%20build%20004_zpsb2kbtbg3.jpg

Edited by DPNM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well now, it has been a while. I have wanted to get back into doing some type of modelling again. I had pulled out a few of the kits I have started, looked at them for about ten minutes then boxed them back up. The urge for finishing one just wasn't there.

I got the inspiration to restart this project. Been mostly painting stuff. My original post states that I'm anal so it could take a while. I've since decided to for-go most of the itzy-bitzy details I had planned. I'd rather get it finished. I ended up buying a complete Lil Red truck as my 1st post mentions I want to use it's wheels/tires. Being I have almost a complete spare truck and this is a die cast (which means all I have to do is remove screws), I can always go back and change things if I choose to do so. Lil Red has come in handy anyway. 

I started with it's frame and I cut the (fake) spare tire out and cleaned up the inner front fenders.

Most of what I've been doing is painting. I used the Warlock interior as the lower inner door panels will be correct although the rest was molded in red.

All paint is Dupli-color rattle can. I used a matte finish on everything (still gotta apply to intake manifold) except the oil pan. I made the gas and brake pedals. I know that the red on the engine isn't correct, it's what I had on hand.

Comments welcome, good or bad.

Pics would help huh?

warlock restart 001.jpg

warlock restart 002.jpg

warlock restart 003.jpg

warlock restart 004.jpg

The part that has caused me the most consternation and has taken a lot of time (and I'm not done yet) is removing the cast in "ears" on the Warlocks bed. They are there to attach the up-pipe exhaust on the Lil Red truck. The wood panels from the "Red" aren't on the Warlock bed so if the Warlock bed was a different casting I wonder why they included them??? I haven't found a good way to remove them yet. I've gone slow so I don't gouge out too much. That and they are in a hard spot to get into.

As an aside, I seem to have only one step for the Warlock bed. The Lil Red bed steps have a hole and depression to attach the exhaust. The warlocks don't. If anyone has a spare step (or pair) let me know. We can work out a swap or ?

warlock restart 007.jpg

warlock restart 006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten more done. Pretty much the frame and interior. I have some cleanup to do with the black on the side pipes. I used water based paint in the recesses this morning and I want to be sure it's dry.

The steering wheel will be higher. It mounts to the bottom of the dash panel. I will replace the air-cleaner when I find something better. I cut the ears off the stock one for now.

I'm still in need of decals. Anyone???

warlock restart 008.jpg

warlock restart 009.jpg

warlock restart 010.jpg

warlock restart 011.jpg