• Announcements

• Site Upgrade   11/18/2017

The Forums will be down, Friday, November 24th starting 8 AM PST for upgrade.We'll probably be down until 1PM PST, but it might be longer. I'm doing a major forum software upgrade, so I expect the forums to operate somewhat differently when we come back online.  Update: I've had a medical issue come up, and this window might not get used. If it doesn't, I'll push the maintenance back to Saturday, 2 December. 

Fairlane 427 stock w/ some detail

33 posts in this topic

Posted

This is a great kit, the engine has a lot of separate parts, with lots of detail.   

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Posted

I'm not sure if these boots are supposed to be orange, or if they would have been black?  anybody know?

I also drilled out the door handles.  

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Posted

Agree great kit. Built 3 so far! :)

Posted

Engine is almost finished.  I just need to add the coil.

IMG_0083.jpg

Posted

Also made progress on the interior.  I added the reverse lockout to the shifter, but it is hard to see. 

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

Posted

Great work on the engine and door cards Ben.:)

Posted

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Posted

Nice looking build Ben.

Posted

Wow!!!!!! Absolutely beautiful work

Posted

I like your fairlane, I see that you have the same problem I had with the front end being up to high. Like mine it looks upward not level.

Posted

That is looking particularly good right there.

Posted

Good looking Ford. Very nicely detailed engine compartment!

Posted

Perfect representation of one of Ford better ideas. As I recall these cars all looked like they were going uphill when new. I think you captured it perfectly.  

Posted

Nice work on that. Agree with espo about them looking nose high when new. I remember when I saw my 1st Mustangs thought the same thing. A little late now, but think the plug boots should have been black.

Posted

Thanks for the positive comments, guys.  Wayne, I think you are right, the wire boots are supposed to be black.   The later fords had orange, but  after i built this engine, and looked at photos, none had orange in '66.   Its ok, you can't even see them with the shock towers so close to the engine.  

With the ride hight, the rocker panel is pretty level from front to back, but the front wheel opening is so high, that it looks off.  Also, I couldn't quite get the body and chassis to fit perfectly after it was painted.   I see a lot of you on here do much more test fitting before you paint, and I will start doing that with my builds going forward.  

Any tips on taking photos would be appreciated.

Posted

Looks very nice! Great job!

Posted

I envy your skill level... That car is amazing. It looks so real.... Can I drive it around the block?

Posted

Thanks for the positive comments, guys.  Wayne, I think you are right, the wire boots are supposed to be black.   The later fords had orange, but  after i built this engine, and looked at photos, none had orange in '66.   Its ok, you can't even see them with the shock towers so close to the engine.  

With the ride hight, the rocker panel is pretty level from front to back, but the front wheel opening is so high, that it looks off.  Also, I couldn't quite get the body and chassis to fit perfectly after it was painted.   I see a lot of you on here do much more test fitting before you paint, and I will start doing that with my builds going forward.  

Any tips on taking photos would be appreciated.

Screenshot_2017-10-01-23-34-46.thumb.pngthe ride height of your model compared to the real thing looks right to me. Personally I think its all an illusion due to the cars high front bumper and offset wheel well openings. Either way. Once more your model is amazing

Posted

Great work! Hey where did you source the orange spark plug boots? Trying to locate some myself.

Posted

Really sweet Ford, nice overall detail work.  My only advice for better pictures is to have a less cluttered background, oftentimes that will detract from what you are trying to show.

Posted

Very nice indeed !!!

Posted

Very slick!

I love the details. Very nicely done.

Posted

A couple of you guys stated that this is a really great kit. I have the AMT '66 Fairlane GT/GTA kit. Is it the same good kit or should I consider finding one of the Fairlane 427 kits?

Posted

A couple of you guys stated that this is a really great kit. I have the AMT '66 Fairlane GT/GTA kit. Is it the same good kit or should I consider finding one of the Fairlane 427 kits?

The GT/GTA kit shares most of the same parts. Great kit.

Posted

Great. Good to see that it's a good kit. It's a great car, for sure. I'll draw some inspiration from Ben's great build.