Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Visit to November GTR meeting test shots

Revell showed up at our November GTR meeting and brought along some test shot materials.   Unfortunately, I only had my cellphone camera to take some shots, so the quality is less than desired.

First is the recently announced 66 Suburban.  Revell brought body parts for review:

30701596492_a6984b74ce_b.jpg

30818604805_463001493b_b.jpg

30183592923_32cd7415bd_b.jpg

Second is the box art model for the Foose 56 Ford pickup.  This model is a new tool based on the actual “CUSTOM” truck and is not stock nor has any stock parts.  All of the body parts reflect the changes done to the actual truck:

30818604545_6e9734e80d_b.jpg

30183592803_a5fec8602e_b.jpg

30818604315_c738ca0077_b.jpg

I'm still disappointed that we finally we get a updated 56 F100... but it cant be built stock.

Why did it "have" to be a Foose-mobile?  A 2n1 or multiple versions would have been so much better. 

Considering the body mods made to the 1:1 F100, a 2n1 kit is probably out of the question. That said, until the kit is in our hands, not sure what all would have to be done to make one a stock vehicle, but I would suspect Revell does and a year or two from now we will see a stock version of the 56 F100.

Sadly, Nate and James, It will just double the number of comments. As for it being a "Foose-mobile" well I can't stand his stuff. I think his taste his awful.  But, I want this kit to be a Huge success for Revell. There are generally no more than one or two kits that Revell shows in each Quarterly Flyer that I like or want. And that's OK with me. The more of these Revell sells, the more profit there is to plow into Chevy Suburban's and Ford Bronco's. So while I don't care for Foose or his work, this partnership has the chance to sell kits of Hot Cars to folks who may not normally buy Models. And I am all for that!  I will predict that by December 2017, the Foose truck will have outsold the 'Burban by a 3 to 1 Ratio.  Maybe Brett can clue us in a year from on how the sales went.

A stock new tool 56 would likely have to be a different tool from the custom Foose version, and since Revell has had a stock 56 for 50+ years, a new stock version probably wouldn't sell very well compared to the Foose one.  

Edited by Rob Hall

I really have hard time wrapping my head around some comments on this and other forums. No matter the subject matter, be it the vehicle represented, the scale or medium (diecast finished/plastic kit), to me personally, it would always make more sense to release something new, than to keep releasing something done many times before through the years. 

I'm not going to discuss whether Foose has taste or if his creations are top quality. Until I have achieved what Chip has, I don't consider myself in the right to judge his work. But I can take a neutral look at the alternative betwen releasing (yet another) stock F-100 or the Foose one, while trying to put myself in Revell's shoes. Aside from buying the kit to build as shown on the box art, how many would buy the stock one, just for its engine vs. the Foose. How many kits will be sold just for the wheels in the Foose kit vs. people buying the stock one just for a set of wheels, etc., etc.. I think it is easilly understandable, why the Foose would be considered the more profitable option. Now add to that the popularity of the Foose brand  and the "new blood" this kit will attract and the choice becomes a no-brainer.