Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Thunderbird

BIGTRUCK

Once I got this out of the purple power to get the heavy paint removed I decided to start this one too.. I really like these "Squarebirds" First I drilled out the stock tail lights and put in the custom ones,found the original skirts and continental kit , spot lights and mirrors..My goal is a lowered mild custom. Its never been hacked on or sanded on so it should be a straight forward build after a little more clean up..

DSC07738DSC07739DSC07735

Now that is a sweet one. Your subjects and workmanship is very nice.

I have this 60 convertible in my collection to be restored.

MamaMeetingApril272013001_zpsf751cf94.jp

Mine is in primer now, and it is ready for paint. It cleaned up very easy. I am going to do it in a dark color, with a two-tone interior, factory stock, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Getting back to this build...I located some original glass for the '60 hardtop and ran the scriber thru all the door , trunk and skirt lines to get the build up of old paint out. Made a set of fender sights, locating a good original pair just wasn't happening.Only custom items are spots , rear tail lights, wheels and a set Goodyear poly glass tires.Used top axle holes for ride height, Primer it all up tomorrow and paint it 2 tone Tuxedo black and white this week. The interior Im not sure on colors or color. Hope to get it foiled up before years end.

DSC07914DSC07911DSC07912

Edited by BIGTRUCK

• 4 weeks later...

Got the Tbird in color, although its a mild custom Im not putting on the big skirts as they would hide 60% of the black paint, once the black dries I'll lay down the clear. The interior is a dark charcoal base but I'll add white and black also.To finish it up I will add all interior and exterior foil and chrome items.

DSC07945DSC07947DSC07946