Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '32 Ford Sedan, Molded in...Red?

I've got parts from the '32 sedan in yellow, light blue, red, and white.  Besides the first issue pictured, there was a second "wordless box" issue after that, with no wording on the box top and no illustrations on the end panels.  Similar style to the current Round 2 '32 Victoria, '50 Ford convertible, and upcoming '49 Ford coupe.

Some (but not all) of the Gasser issue Willys coupe kits also contain the custom '32 sedan.  That issue was changed during its run; early ones contain the double kit, later ones contain the Willys coupe only, but with the alternate pickup version.  The box is unchanged; the artwork shows only the Willys coupe.  The later Gasser issue kits were catalogued and sold alongside the first issue coupe/pickup in a different box (the one Round 2 replicated for their first reissue of the Willys).  If you had both versions of the Gasser issue kit in sealed boxes, the one with the Deuce sedan would weigh a bunch more than one with the Willys coupe/pickup though. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

People want them more for the Ford sedan, because that custom version went out of production nearly fifty years ago.  But the Willys coupe in the double kit has its original slotted wheels, and has the original clear parts which are better than those in later issues.  Of course, the "glass" is all flat; you can make even better parts yourself.  But the headlight lenses are better than the later ones too.  Another part that is better in the early issue Willys kits is the "mailbox" injector scoop; recent kits have a "mold shift" that makes the scoop paper-thin in some areas.      

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I was a kid back in the late 60's I received this double model kit ('40 Willys coupe/'32 Ford Sedan molded in white) for Christmas. The box wasn't the one shown but a color picture of the two cars. I built them then and still have 'em!

John Seekamp