Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Pickup "Cricket" complete

For those that did not follow (albeit not a great one to follow due to slow progress and lack of updates) I present my '32 Ford Pickup. This was inspired by Alexander Brothers' Grasshopper, and was not meant to be a replica. I started with the not so good Lindberg '32, and used bits and pieces from various sources such as a modified suspension from Ala-Kart to include more realistic airbags, Pegasus wheels, 29 Ford bed, Flathead from the 50 Ford pickup, and scratch bits and pieces such as the oil filter and gas tank. This model was picked up and dropped on a concrete floor by my grandson before final assembly so there is a hairline crack in the body/paint on the lower front corner of the driver side, but you almost cannot see it once on the frame. I am just glad that is all that happened because it could have been so much worse. I just finished it up early Sat morning in time for the Modelzona in Phoenix. Sanded off the molded in texture on the roof, Scalefinishes Peterbilt Green. Most all of the chrome is Alclad except the tread-plate in the bed which is foil.

SAM_0771.jpg

SAM_0772.jpg

SAM_0774.jpg

SAM_0775.jpg

SAM_0776.jpg

SAM_0779.jpg

SAM_0773.jpg

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Hi Mark,

Beautiful truck sir!!!!!!!   The paint looks great and really like the bed treatment.

Randy

Randy, the bed was a "what if" thought. Considering the motor is a bit much for the rear rubber and every day driving, I was thinking of placing two drag wheels in the bed, to give it that look like the driver took it to the track on the weekends. Like some of the AMT pie crust slicks, weathered up a bit. If that was being tossed into the bed, then he would want a little more robust bed. Unfortunately, I did not get the wheels in place before the last show. I might still stick them in there, I am not sure yet.

SAM_0783b.jpg

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

I really enjoy looking at and building the old school kits like this one. I think maybe they were meant to be played with, considering the electric motor option and all.  Can't blame the little guy for wanting to play with it. Nice job making it look cool!  The wheels help it a lot.  Also the diamond plate and nice finish. The undercarriage looks really good too.

For those that did not follow (albeit not a great one to follow due to slow progress and lack of updates) I present my '32 Ford Pickup. This was inspired by Alexander Brothers' Grasshopper, and was not meant to be a replica. I started with the not so good Lindberg '32, and used bits and pieces from various sources such as a modified suspension from Ala-Kart to include more realistic airbags, Pegasus wheels, 29 Ford bed, Flathead from the 50 Ford pickup, and scratch bits and pieces such as the oil filter and gas tank. This model was picked up and dropped on a concrete floor by my grandson before final assembly so there is a hairline crack in the body/paint on the lower front corner of the driver side, but you almost cannot see it once on the frame. I am just glad that is all that happened because it could have been so much worse. I just finished it up early Sat morning in time for the Modelzona in Phoenix. Sanded off the molded in texture on the roof, Scalefinishes Peterbilt Green. Most all of the chrome is Alclad except the tread-plate in the bed which is foil.

SAM_0771.jpg

SAM_0772.jpg

SAM_0774.jpg

SAM_0775.jpg

SAM_0776.jpg

SAM_0779.jpg

SAM_0773.jpg

mindblower, and that's that......Mark, that's the sweetest one built I have yet to see...love it, terrific execution all round........best, the Ace.....:D

Thanks Ace!  There are a few little things I have done since these pics were taken, like black wash around the "ford" logo on the tailgate. There are a few more little things I MIGHT go back in and do later, but mostly they would be subtle like additional washes etc. I really am pleased to have finished it tho, because there were times I did not think I would because of setbacks, then after my grandson picked it up and dropped it during final assembly, whew.. LOL

Thanks Ace!  There are a few little things I have done since these pics were taken, like black wash around the "ford" logo on the tailgate. There are a few more little things I MIGHT go back in and do later, but mostly they would be subtle like additional washes etc. I really am pleased to have finished it tho, because there were times I did not think I would because of setbacks, then after my grandson picked it up and dropped it during final assembly, whew.. LOL

boy, when my  2 '32 Ford truck kit's get around to being built, I may drop them on the floor too, if it get's them looking that good..lol:lol:.....I have a Lindberg issue and an original AMT HILLBILLY HAULER mib, and in seeing yours, one may be an upcoming winter build......as for setbacks, as you mention, that's part of building for most of us. my build's seem to be in a constant state of setback...lol...:lol:.....best,  the Ace.......:D

• 2 weeks later...