Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Bonus Kits

Several parts for either the kart or the cycle were included in each kit.  These were mixed in with the car kit's other parts.  One kit might have had the kart's plastic tires, maybe a seat, and another small part or two on an unplated tree, and would have a set of wheels and a fuel tank on the plated tree.  Each kit's instruction sheet had the full parts breakdown for the kart or cycle with the parts included in that kit highlighted.  It would tell you which other kits also had parts for that item.  Some parts were in more than one kit.  I've got a complete kart, and I'm pretty certain there were plated wheels in one kit and unplated ones in another.

It was the '63 Ford pickup that had the kart.  I don't know if the parts were the same as those scattered among the '62 kits, but the '63 kart also included larger wheel/tire units and a streamlined body. 

Likewise, the '63 Chevy pickup included a complete Triumph motorcycle, with an optional streamlined canopy.

AMT never repeated the scattering of parts for an accessory item among several kits after the '62 deal.  It was probably something that didn't drive sales of additional kits as planned.  During '62, Revell started their Custom Car Parts series, which included four different motorcycles.  For 69 cents, you could get a complete one instead of having to buy several kits with only a few parts in each.  I've pounded the ground at swap meets for decades, and can't recall ever seeing a complete, built kart or cycle made up of parts from the '62 kits.  More often than not, those parts got hacked into something else using whatever the builder could scrounge at the time.

Likewise, the '63 Chevy pickup included a complete Triumph motorcycle, with an optional streamlined canopy.

AMT1963ChevFSPU7.jpg

AMT never repeated the scattering of parts for an accessory item among several kits after the '62 deal.  It was probably something that didn't drive sales of additional kits as planned.  

That was my thought, too, and probably why nobody has tried it since.

Here is the AMT Triumph Bonneville Salt Flats version and the Go-Kart Salt Flats version as pictured in a cover story of Model Cars magazine a few years back.  All the details on these two kits were spilled out in that story.... DSC 0077

And here's the "restored stock" version of the AMT Triumph 1962 model year Bonneville bike (these are VERY collectible in the 1/1 scale motorcycle community these days), and also "au-currant" in the Rat Rod/Traditional Hot Rod movement.....DSC 0440 AMT Triumph Bonneville Restored Stock

And finally, here's the third version of the Triumph (it was pitched as "3 in 1") which is a mildly hopped up stock bike with the racing seat, a different taillight,....and.always grinned that they call the ape-hangers "Crazy Bars" in the instructions posted by Casey above.....

DSC 0485 AMT Triumph w/Optional Ape Hangers/Racing Seat/Custom Tailamp 

Hope that helps build the knowledge base on these kit accessories...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I'd love to see these released as parts packs. How about it Round 2? I especially want the go kart. Though Replicas & Minitures of Md. I think has a resin version of it. I still rather see it back in styrene.

The Bikes and the Kart get my vote as a re issue too !

Sadly I think they're gone. 63 Ford p/u reissue had no kart parts in it in 68-69 reissue. I've got the streamliner and the regular karts complete. Never had the bike, looked for decades for bits or builder. Norm at RMCM has both in resin, usual outstanding quality. I've got one of his too. 

Sadly I think they're gone. 63 Ford p/u reissue had no kart parts in it in 68-69 reissue. I've got the streamliner and the regular karts complete. Never had the bike, looked for decades for bits or builder. Norm at RMCM has both in resin, usual outstanding quality. I've got one of his too. 

Id be happy to see the 63 Ford pickup reissued with the over head camper....trying to restore one that is rough.

Hopefully the below didn't mean only the dirt bikes Round2 recently reissued in a Parts Pack, but maybe it did:

Andy says:

Are there any of the old go cart or motorcycle goodies still around? I know that they were issued with early 60’s kits but do not know if they were in the same molds . Is there anyway that we could see more parts packs from these older goodies?

- See more at: http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/2224-whats-a-hanger-shot/#sthash.d8SrRYk8.jzhd6PE6.dpuf

Id be happy to see the 63 Ford pickup reissued with the over head camper....trying to restore one that is rough.

JohnG says:

This is only a portion of the molds, but goes way beyond the latest catalog. Some tools were never sampled in this program. I can say without a doubt that the early 60’s Ford trucks are long gone, unfortunately.

- See more at: http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/2224-whats-a-hanger-shot/#sthash.d8SrRYk8.jzhd6PE6.dpuf

Model King initiated a search for the Ford pickup when he did the drag team with the MPC Cougar funny car.  It was determined that it was gone even then.  It probably didn't make the trip to Baltimore when AMT sold the Troy, MI facility.  Lesney owned AMT only a couple of years, so they probably didn't do much of anything as far as inventorying or checking tooling goes.  I'd doubt Ertl scrapped much, if anything, during their ownership.  Racing Champions probably wouldn't have gotten rid of anything either, and Round 2 just bought everything not long ago so they certainly aren't going to scrap anything.

The ('66) Chevy pickup does still exist, but someone else has that.  About 500 of them were run off in the Nineties, and sold as pre-assembled retro-promos with vacuform glass.  Apparently whoever has that tool hasn't got the clear window tooling that goes with it.   

If you want to see other motorcycles or go carts in the Parts Pack line, get out there and buy the dirt bike one they have out now.  Sales haven't been great, but not too bad.  Still better than the engine parts packs, those haven't done jack. 

Already done that. I buy at least one of any parts packs Round 2 puts out. Sometimes more. I have a set of the dirt bikes. But, the go kart interests me even more.

Miracles do sometimes happen.....it's amazing what Round 2 has found lurking in the old AMT tooling bank (for example, the original T500 California Hauler and more recently, the Soap Box Derby racer).  A few years ago, no one I know of would have thought these tools still existed.  

If one of these "bonus kit" type things does eventually resurface as a new reissue, my guess is that it would more likely re-appear as a Bonus for some other kit release....e.g. a bonus for one of the old-time AMT or MPC pickup toolings that we already know exists.   Similar to what they just did with the Soap Box Derby kit combined with the Mueller-era '68 El Camino SS.   Much less likely, IMHO, would be a stand-alone parts pack offering.  

Bottom line on this one....never say never would be my advice.  Time will tell if that advice has any legitimacy in this case......TIM