Model Cars Magazine Forum

Converting a MPC 1969 Dodge Coronet to a Superbee?

Hi everyone,

Ive got a resin kit here of a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T, unknown who made it. Its cast from the MPC kit I believe. Ive been thinking of converting it to a A12 Superbee. Has anyone done this? Its looking to me the main differences from the outside is the A12 Superbee has the 6pack hood & a different tail light panel? Im pretty sure Ive got the hood covered. The tail light panel has me stumped? Any ideas? Has anyone else thought about converting one of these?

Thanks in advance!

If hes like me, I avoid 1.24th scale stuff,,,just looks weird next to the rest in my case.

I've thought about trying to take the tail light panel out of the Monogram kit and cut it down to fit the MPC body. then use photo etched  to put the DODGE lettering  back in place. I've never done it though but I think its possible. ...... I have a 69 RT kit,,but its WAAAAAAAY down my to do list.

Edited by gtx6970

Hi thanks for the replies. Yeah I know there is a Monogram 69 Superbee kit. As gtx6970 mentions I prefer to stay away from 1/24 where I can. 

That was my thought to, cutting the Monogram tail light panel down to fit the MPC kit.

By any chance would someone have a Monogram 69 Superbee kit they can put beside one of the MPC Coronet kits so I can see the size difference between the 1/24 & 1/25 kits? Not sure if ill modify the MPC 1/25 kit yet or build a 1/24 Monogram kit out of the box. Although I do like a good challenge!

The Monogram 1969 1/2 Super Bee 440 Six Pack is an okay kit ; however it's not without inaccuracies :

-Power Disc Brake Master Cylinder . These cars all had drum brakes , period 

- Road Wheels ( colloq,  "Magnum 500" ) are quite incorrect . All 1969 Six Pack / 6Bbl cars were shod with 15"x6" plain , gloss black wheels with chrome lugs , period.

Plymouth (!!) back seat embellishment

Beyond those gaffes ; asub-sized exhaust system ... and it's molded-to the differential housing (!!) .

Get some resin steel wheels and red line tyres from Chief Joseph : cut the exhaust from the axle ; and remove the Plymouth "Fratzog"  embellishment., and have fun ?

• 1 month later...

I'm doing this exact conversion right now. It's been on my to do list for ages, but the rear panel always stumped me. It had been suggested that cutting the panel in three, on an angle just inboard of the tail lamps would work. It does, sort of. But then you have a seam right through the ribbed section, not easy to correct. I had a couple of spare panels, and I tried it out, just not satisfied with the result. Current attempt, and this one looks like it's working involves cutting the panel into 5 pieces.

20161222_170920.jpg

I'm doing this exact conversion right now. It's been on my to do list for ages, but the rear panel always stumped me. It had been suggested that cutting the panel in three, on an angle just inboard of the tail lamps would work. It does, sort of. But then you have a seam right through the ribbed section, not easy to correct. I had a couple of spare panels, and I tried it out, just not satisfied with the result. Current attempt, and this one looks like it's working involves cutting the panel into 5 pieces.

20161222_170920.jpg

You could get the rear taillight panel from Hart's Parts and make it smaller, as it seems like less work to me?