Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Impala Lowrider !.... FINISHED ...

Lowlife ! !

I know this WIP features in the Lowrider CBP but i didnt want to fill that up with my pics, and i can go into more detail here so...

I wanted to start on the main bodywork, make a few changes then get it in colour, before adding the chassis and running gear etc.  So i cut the front inner fenders away, cut out all the lumps and bumps from the firewall and made a plastic template to cover it ........

20161008_001521_zpsvv5gw8uz.jpg

Smooth firewall and another 2 panels to cover the lower half were added. This was smoothed in, and the floorpan cleaned up. (sorry, sideways pic !)

20161108_184840_zpsxwc6vpxj.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Thanks Dave, you jumped in as i was just updating it a bit more ! !

The door was cut from a warped shell i had spare, and the door hole cut out from my good shell !  Marking the door line with a sharpie pen makes it easier to see. The boot also has a sharp edge just above the badge, which i smoothed, look out for this if you build one !

And heres a mock up, taped in place ! Im using the Revell wheels here, but might buy some Pegasus wheels if i can find scale 13" ones. ( Revells wire wheels are nice but scale out to about 15" ) 

Good start Martin, too bad about the warping issue. Nice to see you recitied that problem. Evilbay has a ton of Pegasus 13" spoked wheels. Not too bad for price either when you work your time and gas to actually to go a shop to get them. I recently picked up a few sets, very very nice quality. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pegasus-Hobbies-1-24-1-25-Triple-Gold-DZs-w-Whitewalls-4-PGH1117-/232141104502?hash=item360cb02576:g:fBcAAOSwFdtX021-

Edited by Rider

Thanks Dave, you jumped in as i was just updating it a bit more ! !

The door was cut from a warped shell i had spare, and the door hole cut out from my good shell !  Marking the door line with a sharpie pen makes it easier to see. The boot also has a sharp edge just above the badge, which i smoothed, look out for this if you build one !

20161106_183434_zpskv6kq0bc.jpg

And heres a mock up, taped in place ! Im using the Revell wheels here, but might buy some Pegasus wheels if i can find scale 13" ones. ( Revells wire wheels are nice but scale out to about 15" ) 

20161108_184713_zpsyipltbua.jpg

he bub i got a nice set of wheels this this HTML class. Value is [URL=http://s347.pho

Thanks for the replys guys, and thanks Lloyd ive ordered some Pegasus rims, they are on their way !  :)

Cut the interior panel out for the open door, and made a simple hinge for it. Where the hinge is attached to the body, the hinge support is straight and the body curved, so i made a flush fitting panel to help support the hinge. See pics to explain !   :blink:

Thanks for the replys guys !  

Lloyd, if you want to cut the door out on these, be very careful !!!  The quarter window is very delicate, I was lucky to have a spare body to hack up. Also notice in the pic above the open door doesn't match up with the interior ! Rear part is OK but the front of the doorcard is too short, the door line on the interior should be further forward. Not putting you off, if your careful it should be fine. 

Thanks Chris and Lloyd, i look forward to seeing both your 64s take shape !

Quick confession, i messed up a little !  :(   Take a look at the hinges picture above, the top hinge hits the dashboard !  After moving it twice, then trying suicide doors, i gave up. Simple bent bars will hold the door open permanately, i will post pics when its done... Good news is, the hinge didnt fit because im scratch building the dash, seats, head liner, door panels and carpet. And the boot set-up too ! Lets just say Ive got a pile of felt, chrome card, and some big ideas ! !

So the interior has been basically smoothed, arm rests, handles etc, and i made up panels to create the inside of the boot. Smoothed some lumps off the floor etc, oh and cut the door panel wider, see the pics it makes more sense..... more soon.....B)

20161121_150059_zpspnjlgtdy.jpg

20161122_114602_zpsxo9gz6ks.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

• 3 weeks later...

After hassle with photobucket I think its ok again, so a sneek peek update !  Weathers too cold for painting so I started on one of my favourite bits, interior. Now I know some of you don't like lowriders, so a fur and mirror tiled interior wont be popular, but hey, I love em !  Heres the front seats, although I may redo these soon to get the buttons more straight, bottom parts in yellow are deep buttoned too, but don't show up in the pics? ......;)

20161203_200438_zpsprkm4af5.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !