Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ward Lafrance..aka Engine 51(update 4/30/17 getting close)

This is gonna be a challenge.. Started with an ATM  American Lafrance, cab from Models by Dave.. Ordered some goodies from Don Mills.. Frame, engine & pump are where it stands so far.. gonna start the bed soon.. Have to scratch build higher cabinets on the pump side.  

IMG_20161112_100629659.jpg

IMG_20161112_100643486.jpg

Edited by towman1271

You are right about the Cummins, but seeing it wont be seen except from underneath. I didn't want to fight fitting it in!

Can't say as I blame you on that! :D

Oh, where did you get your Engine 51 decals made?

Edited by Jim B

020.thumb.JPG.8ecc974de0f8a6737a2fb2c110021.thumb.JPG.e76be8910e0c7dfc1a957ad4b7023.thumb.JPG.c553850da640dfb597050369f5

Hey Towman.. I built that a few years ago.  A tip about the cab:  Plan on putting some crossways stiffeners inside the top to keep the top from sagging.  The real rig would have had them anyway.  I also found the resin bumper to be very soft.  If I accidentally placed it on an uneven surface it took the shape of that surface.  So I made a new one from brass strip stock.  Plastic strip stock would work also.

I also have some Ward LaFrance drawings of the body.  And there is a walk around video of E-51 that shows you what it looks like as well.  I think if you just type in "Engine 51" it will pop up on U tube.

Let me know if you run into any problems.  I'd be glad to help.

Edited by Chariots of Fire

020.thumb.JPG.8ecc974de0f8a6737a2fb2c110021.thumb.JPG.e76be8910e0c7dfc1a957ad4b7023.thumb.JPG.c553850da640dfb597050369f5

Hey Towman.. I built that a few years ago.  A tip about the cab:  Plan on putting some crossways stiffeners inside the top to keep the top from sagging.  The real rig would have had them anyway.  I also found the resin bumper to be very soft.  If I accidentally placed it on an uneven surface it took the shape of that surface.  So I made a new one from brass strip stock.  Plastic strip stock would work also.

I also have some Ward LaFrance drawings of the body.  And there is a walk around video of E-51 that shows you what it looks like as well.  I think if you just type in "Engine 51" it will pop up on U tube.

Let me know if you run into any problems.  I'd be glad to help.

thank you for the offer & advice.. your build is impressive.. intimidating actually.. I hope mine looks even half that good

Can't say as I blame you on that! :D

Oh, where did you get your Engine 51 decals made?

Didn't do anything with decals yet.. Was gonna use the gold door lettering from the set I got for the squad.. For the 51's I may print them off the files you sent me onto regular paper to get the size right, then manually cut them out of white decal paper.. Maybe, just to try, I might try a sheet of decal paper in my inkjet & then trim them real close to the white..

I like what you have going, even though it only seen from the bottom I may have had a hard time not putting in a comeapart. How carried away are you going to get with the details?

going to try to get as much detail as possible..  Thanks to JimB, I have 5 files of pictures of the truck from every possible angle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...