Model Cars Magazine Forum

what blades does everyone use

bauercrew

Hey everybody,here is my choice ,scapel blades ,just started using them about a month ago, I use them only for bare metal foil,and let me tell you what a difference for ME .use to use the standard exacto # 11,but would have problems with keeping blade in groves,and it would go off track (probably bad technique),so I seen some where on line about someone using scapels ,and I figured what heck try it,never going back to exacto for baremetal foil,this is probably old news to the more experienced modelers but the scapels are smaller,they are also thinner ,and boy are they sharp,,i have used the same scapel blade now for the last three models,did I mention boy are they sharp,i don't know about anyone else but I a have a few encounters with exactos:o,but let me tell you with scapel I didn't even know I knicked my self till I seen the blood:wacko:,L.O.L ,didn't even hurt ,or feel it ,till later on of course when cleaning airbrush with laq, thinner:o,,anyway just excited about something that people probabably all ready knew, wish I started using them along time ago,plus they are not that expensive, bought handle and 100 # 11 blades for less than $10.00,on line

Edited by bauercrew

#11 about 95% of the time.

Same here. 

I prefer a #14 for BMF; the decreased angle seems to work better for me, and I can follow an edge much more easily.

I also cheat just a little...I've carried a pocket knife for over 65 years and know how to sharpen one. On my bench, I keep a small piece of wood with an old leather belt glued to it (rough side out); a bit of jeweler's rouge and I have an excellent strop to freshen up an edge.

I've used #11 Exacto blades virtually since I started using foil probably 30 years ago.

Never had a problem with them.

I keep 2 Exacto knives on my bench, so every time I get ready to foil a new project, I put a fresh blade in one & graduate the used blade down to my "utility" knife.

I think just for the ease of it, I'll stick with the Exacto blades.

I can pick them up anywhere when I need them.

I really don't want any more supplies that I need to order on line.

Steve

I use both - hobby knife with #11 blade about 90% of the time (sometimes with other blades) and a scalpel the other 10%.  At some point hobby mail order companies (like Hobby Expo and Micro Mark) used to carry scalpel handles and blades. I'm not sure if they still do.  Yes scalpel handles are smaller and thinner (they don't have a cylindrical-shape handle).  The shape of the handle makes it easier to judge the angle of the blade. Their #11 blades are a bit smaller than hobby version and have finely honed blade. I also took a disposable scalpel (a #11 blade permanently attached to a plastic handle), trimmed the handle to about 1/2 length, and made it into a replaceable blade scalpel.  That is my BMF tool: the short and very light handle gives me much finer control while trimming BMF. I use stainless blades and paint the tip with black Sharpie to make it easier to see.

For BMF I use a #23 blade.  The other thing that I learned is that I push it rather than pulling it. By pushing it and holding like a pencil you can guide it very precisely by following the tip.

I like the #23 because of it's curve.  When I get to the end of a push stroke, I can end it precisely by rocking the blade up to the tip.

If I had something that worked I wouldn't change either. As newbie with BMF I'm finding that I only get a few sharp cuts before the x-acto starts tearing rather than slicing. It might be that I'm being too heavy handed, but I've also been reading that there's a lot of variability in the quality of x-acto blades.

If I had something that worked I wouldn't change either. As newbie with BMF I'm finding that I only get a few sharp cuts before the x-acto starts tearing rather than slicing. It might be that I'm being too heavy handed, but I've also been reading that there's a lot of variability in the quality of x-acto blades.

Sounds strange.

I can easily get at least one whole build done with a blade with out the blade becoming dull.

That includes the body & interior, & I build a lot of chrome laden barges. :D

Either you're doing something incorrectly, or you've got bad blades.

But, that being said, if the scalpel blades work for you, by all means, go with that!

There are no rules in this hobby.

Steve

I use one of these exclusively for BMF work. Just the weight of the tool is all it  needs. and like mentioned . It gets a new blade every time I start any BMF work  . Main reason I like it , its retractable. And I have a couple of them  as well as a couple regular #11 blade knives

http://xacto.com/images/default-source/knife-images/-0030-X3209-A.jpg?sfvrsn=0

#11 is what I use 99% of the time, though lately I've been using Excel brand blades rather than Xacto. They cost the same as the Xacto #11 blades (at least they do at my local shop) but seem to hold an edge longer. They're also produced in the US, for those of you who get off on such things. I'll use the other blades for those peculiar situations where a #11 just won't do, but Old Eleven is my default blade. 

#11 is what I use 99% of the time, though lately I've been using Excel brand blades rather than Xacto. They cost the same as the Xacto #11 blades (at least they do at my local shop) but seem to hold an edge longer. They're also produced in the US, for those of you who get off on such things. I'll use the other blades for those peculiar situations where a #11 just won't do, but Old Eleven is my default blade. 

I use a lot of the Excel brand blades too.

Whatever I happen to find.

The Excel ones seem to be every bit as good as Xacto.

Steve

I tend to agree. X-Acto has also cut their variety of blades available.

We've been toying with switching over to Excel as exclusively as possible (X-Acto does have a couple of unique items,) because they're American-made and really do seem to be better. My Excel #11s last twice as long as X-Acto. 

I'll have to try the scalpel.

Charlie Larkin

I use the retractable knife pictured above for the sharp curves, and a #11 blade/handle for the straight areas.  I worked for two years at a place for a company that had a vinyl sign shop as part of the business.  They bought #11 blades in mass quantities, and threw them away after a couple of cuts because even a hint of dullness would make them snag the vinyl.  I grabbed the throwaways, discarded the ones with broken tips, and sharpened the rest myself.  They're sharper than they were out of the box.  I'm gone from there nearly twelve years, probably won't have to buy another #11 blade again, ever. 

For BMF I use a #23 blade.  The other thing that I learned is that I push it rather than pulling it. By pushing it and holding like a pencil you can guide it very precisely by following the tip.

I like the #23 because of it's curve.  When I get to the end of a push stroke, I can end it precisely by rocking the blade up to the tip.

I have to try this. I like the idea that you're spreading the cutting action over a larger part of the blade.

• 4 weeks later...

#11 blades for most utility work - count me in with a preference for the Excel brand.  I like the U.S. made thing and X-acto seems to have gone downhill gradually over the last few years  Excel are sharper and last longer.  The Testors Model Master blades are the sharpest #11 that I've used but cost a bit more and are harder to find locally so I save them for fine work.

I tried the scalpel blades and they are brutally sharp.  I will probably get a better handle and spend some time practicing before I get to the next foil project.  That's a good idea in the post above to use scalpel blades for trimming soft goods - I'm going to try it

• 2 weeks later...