Model Cars Magazine Forum

'78 Cordoba

restoman

On 1/18/2020 at 5:12 PM, restoman said:

I'm having a tough time staying motivated on this build... but it IS getting there.

Two wheel openings yet to see BMF, then it can begin going together.

Foiling those thin wheel opening trim pieces is NOT a fun way to spend an afternoon  :(

Comments always welcome.

300 1 2.jpg

300 2 2.jpg

That's looking great but do your self a favor and make it easy on your self I have stopped using the BMF on all the thin and small areas get the Molotow liquid chrome pens they come in 1mm 2mm 4mm they look like you used BMF and in one swipe your done I am 67 and my hands don't work like they use to cutting the BMF is hard but with the pens it's so easy and there great for small parts to and there is no under coating needed they go over anything. you can get them on amazon or just about any were.!

3 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

That's looking great but do your self a favor and make it easy on your self I have stopped using the BMF on all the thin and small areas get the Molotow liquid chrome pens they come in 1mm 2mm 4mm they look like you used BMF and in one swipe your done I am 67 and my hands don't work like they use to cutting the BMF is hard but with the pens it's so easy and there great for small parts to and there is no under coating needed they go over anything. you can get them on amazon or just about any were.!

I have a Molotow pen and a refill that I like for airbrushing. In fact, the bumpers, headlight bezels and taillight bezels on this build are Molotow chrome.

But, I've found Molotow does not like any handling after it has been applied, and with all the handling this body receives as it goes together, I'm afraid the trim would look like silver paint. As it is, those pieces will be the very-last pieces to be installed, except for the taillights, which are protected enough by their location.

I'm not wild about BMF - in fact it's my least favourite part of building - but it does look great and it holds up well to fingers. 

Thanks for the comment! :) Nice to know that someone is looking!

Hi you say you use it in your air brush how does it work ? I got a refill but never thought about using it as a spray can you coat a part with out using the gloss black under it when you spray it. that is one of the big things I like about it you can go over almost anything with out under coat I have used the pen on raw resin and it came out perfect.

Molotow works very well through an airbrush. Over bare plastic, primed or painted parts. Over bare resin, I've never tried it - the few resin pieces I've done were primed.

It is thin, and will run if you're not careful, but it can look every bit as good as the best Alclad, and in my opinion, approaches decent kit chrome. Not perfect, but close.

How well it holds up over time is anyone's guess, but so far so good.

But... it doesn't like to be handled, so care is needed.

These bumpers were airbrushed with Molotow...

molotow 2.jpg

molotow 3.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 9:50 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Very nice and rare subject Mike!  It seem that these AirTrax resin kits are pretty well casted by looking at your pics, I was precisely just wondering if they were worth buying?

It's not bad. I've seen better but I've also seen much worse. 

The body has a slight twist to it,  some of the engine compartment detail is chunky and the hood has a bit of a downward bow, but none of that will prevent this from being a decent version of a '79 300.

I'll not let those things keep me from looking at Airtrax again. :)

7 hours ago, restoman said:

It's not bad. I've seen better but I've also seen much worse. 

The body has a slight twist to it,  some of the engine compartment detail is chunky and the hood has a bit of a downward bow, but none of that will prevent this from being a decent version of a '79 300.

I'll not let those things keep me from looking at Airtrax again. :)

Thanks for your reply to my interrogations about the Air-Trax resin kits Mike.  I will take it in consideration if I decided to order one.  You did a great job by the way!!!

Just for that extra nudge, here's the real thing:

P1090345.JPG.ea9f1ceed3f0a2ada4b676d9ea450a88.JPG

P1090346.JPG.4f48c8549d24ab2592c4e17070f48761.JPG

P1090347.JPG.fcc9d87c5794f1dd11a8928ce9e8cb31.JPG

Had the privilege of working on it for the owner; ended up gathering four or five of those plastic fake fender vents from junkyards to get a good set. The white plastic yellowed, so I found a close match for the white and painted them. Picked up an NOS stripe kit on eBay along with taillight badges and wheel centers. Nice low-mile original car with an unfaded interior.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 10:32 PM, restoman said:

I think they're my only options for a decent small block... but I'm in budget mode now and all ready have the '71 Charger which is a big block, so unless I can swap for one of those, this will be a 400 big block Cordoba.

I might have a spare floating around. I'll give a look. If it doesn't cost a mint to post to Ontario, I'll be happy to send it along.

Nevermind, I just went through the rest of it. You've done a fine job. A bit of a what-if if they had kept the B engine around another year.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

• 7 months later...