Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diorama photography

Ken H

I'm not much of a model builder but I do like to collect and photograph them. I'm definitely inspired by the awesome work of Michael Paul Smith. I have huge respect for those of you who can build these things and make them look real. I like to photograph them and make them look real. Please check out my work. Comments, criticism and just plain heckling are most welcome: Studebaker Dictator 4 by Kenneth Hendricks, on Flickr

I second this. It has that "mood" that real photos have.

To illustrate this, this is the scene that came to my mind immediately when I saw your photo. It is a Willys I saw on display in a recreation of an old time village garage. Probably the only Willys coupe still intact.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely inspired by the awesome work of Michael Paul Smith. I have huge respect for those of you who can build these things and make them look real.

I'll second this!  I love to build dioramas too, but mine are definitely on a very amateur level to be sure.  You'll never mistake mine for a real life scene. :D  None the less they still serve to inspire the imagination. 

Great photography Ken, and an awesome web page! Those models look like photos of actual cars and garages.  Thanks for sharing your work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Incredibly cool!
That woodie wagon is stunning. That photo is almost surgically sharp, and the garage dio has fantastic detailing and lighting. I wish my photos were a tenth as good as these!
If I could recommend anything, it would be to knock the shine off those tires in the foreground; they kind of give the secret away!