Model Cars Magazine Forum

So the nerdy Porsche 914 scores a date with the rockstar 918 Spyder and this happens...

FrozenPlastik49

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Can't believe its been February since my last post!  Here's the latest on the build.  Most of the interior and engine are finished.  Body is painted and clear coated and in the process of being polished.  Shouldn't be more than another six months or so before this can get moved to the 'Under Glass' section...lol.

20170809_230732.jpg

20170809_230657_001.jpg

20170809_230618.jpg

20170809_230606.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent build - 914's have always been a favorite of mine.  Disappointing there hasn't been a really good kit of one (kinda like the 289 Cobra).

Not to throw a monkey wrench at this point, but how about replacing the pop-ups with some clear-lens led projection beams?  I recall a build where the guy took a piece of clear acrylic cut in a wedge shape, drilled the back of the vertical wall to represent the "bulbs", then foiled the back.  If you can cut out the pop-ups without damaging the paint it might complete the new-meets-old theme.  Just an idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent build - 914's have always been a favorite of mine.  Disappointing there hasn't been a really good kit of one (kinda like the 289 Cobra).

Not to throw a monkey wrench at this point, but how about replacing the pop-ups with some clear-lens led projection beams?  I recall a build where the guy took a piece of clear acrylic cut in a wedge shape, drilled the back of the vertical wall to represent the "bulbs", then foiled the back.  If you can cut out the pop-ups without damaging the paint it might complete the new-meets-old theme.  Just an idea.

DJ...love this idea!  Unfortunately, I was close to completion when you posted.  I do have another 914 body that will be a future project and will be sure to incorporate your idea then.  Thanks!