Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bare Metal Foil

Hi guys, just had a quick question. Does any of the new versions of Bare Meta Foil (Ultra Bright Chrome etc.) have the same thickness as the old (10 ago or so) foil. I bought some of the Ultra Bright but it does not conform like the old stuff and leaves a jagged edge when cut with a brand new blade. Is there other foil options that is like the old stuff ???

Thanks,

Charlie

Pro Tech

I agree on the New and improved foil. I tried the Ultra Bright once and never finished the sheet. It seems somewhat thicker and on long pieces such as body side moldings it wanted to curl up. The jagged edge can sometimes come from not using a new blade or cutting at a steep angle rather than laying the blade at a low angle.

Charlie.....the old, original BareMetal Foil is still available and I use it exclusively,as I experienced somewhat of the same issues you did with the Ultra-Bright product.  TIM 

I haven't seen the "original" BMF in quite some time.

It was replaced with the "New & Improved" product.

Basically the same as the original as far as I can tell, but the name has changed.

I stay away from the "Ultra Bright" as well.

Far too hard to work with.

Doesn't cut as well due to the thickness, doesn't conform to compound curves well, & the adhesive doesn't seem to "adhere" as well either.

If I were you "Pro Tech", I would save myself some headaches & avoid the Ultra Bright & go straight for the New & Improved.

Steve

I haven't seen the "original" BMF in quite some time.

It was replaced with the "New & Improved" product.

Basically the same as the original as far as I can tell, but the name has changed.

I stay away from the "Ultra Bright" as well.

Far too hard to work with.

Doesn't cut as well due to the thickness, doesn't conform to compound curves well, & the adhesive doesn't seem to "adhere" as well either.

If I were you "Pro Tech", I would save myself some headaches & avoid the Ultra Bright & go straight for the New & Improved.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the follow-up here....yes I should have said "New and Improved" as that is the version that I use.  Recently I read that the "New and Improved" sticker had been dropped from the packaging (though I don't recall having seen that at the stores myself), so it might appear in either form.  TIM 

I have to say that I'm a little amazed at all of the problems people claim to have with BMF.

I've been using this stuff for probably 25 years, & outside of the issues with some of the specialty foils, I've never had a problem with it that I can think of.

I've probably used up 6 or 8 sheets of the new & improved foil just in the past 3 or 4 years with zero problems.

It just escapes me. :huh:

Steve

Another voice against the Ultra-Bright foil.   Actually it was the reason my model ended up on the BMF packaging.

It was in the 1990s when BMF started having competition. Detail Master started producing their own foil and the sales pitch was that it was much shinier and brighter than BMFs.  I bought some of the Detail Master foil and it stunk!  Yes, it was brighter and shinier than BMF chrome foil, but it was also much thicker, less stretchy and didn't adhere well.  I only tried to use it once and ended up peeling it off and using the BMF chrome foil.

After that BMF introduced their new Ultra Chrome foil.  They also touted it as being more like real chrome.  I suspect that was their answer to the competition.  So I bought a sheet of BMF Ultra Chrome. It was almost as crappy as the Detail master. Same problems as I described above.  I still have the unused sheet (I should chuck it).

Seeing BMF producing the Ultra Chrome foil made me worry that they will discontinue their regular Chrome foil (which while not as shiny was a pleasure to work with) and I wrote them a letter including couple of photos of my models. I asked for them to continue producing the regular Chrome foil and showing them that it looked great on my models.  I received a reply (all by snail mail back then) stating that they had no intention of discontinuing the regular Chrome foil. El (the BMF proprietor) also asked me if he could use the photos of my models in BMF ads and packaging. Of course I agreed and the rest is history. As a "payment" I received several sheets of BMF foils, but the best payment is seeing my model on every BMF envelope!:D

image001.jpg

I am still using those decades-old sheets (I'm a slow builder) and til recently I didn't even know that BMF introduced "new and improved" foil. But from what I see, the new foil is just as good as the original Chrome.

Another voice against the Ultra-Bright foil.   Actually it was the reason my model ended up on the BMF packaging.

It was in the 1990s when BMF started having competition. Detail Master started producing their own foil and the sales pitch was that it was much shinier and brighter than BMFs.  I bought some of the Detail Master foil and it stunk!  Yes, it was brighter and shinier than BMF chrome foil, but it was also much thicker, less stretchy and didn't adhere well.  I only tried to use it once and ended up peeling it off and using the BMF chrome foil.

After that BMF introduced their new Ultra Chrome foil.  They also touted it as being more like real chrome.  I suspect that was their answer to the competition.  So I bought a sheet of BMF Ultra Chrome. It was almost as crappy as the Detail master. Same problems as I described above.  I still have the unused sheet (I should chuck it).

Seeing BMF producing the Ultra Chrome foil made me worry that they will discontinue their regular Chrome foil (which while not as shiny was a pleasure to work with) and I wrote them a letter including couple of photos of my models. I asked for them to continue producing the regular Chrome foil and showing them that it looked great on my models.  I received a reply (all by snail mail back then) stating that they had no intention of discontinuing the regular Chrome foil. El (the BMF proprietor) also asked me if he could use the photos of my models in BMF ads and packaging. Of course I agreed and the rest is history. As a "payment" I received several sheets of BMF foils, but the best payment is seeing my model on every BMF envelope!:D

image001.jpg

I am still using those decades-old sheets (I'm a slow builder) and til recently I didn't even know that BMF introduced "new and improved" foil. But from what I see, the new foil is just as good as the original Chrome.

cool story,  thanks for sharing.  I too have really only enjoyed the reels regular chrome.  the black and gold  rubbed off,  and as pointed out the ultra was just hard to work with.  I do think "old" BMF loses its "stick" over time, but I have never really had issues with still using it. 

image001.jpg

That is a great story!  Thank you for sharing! I've always loved the model on the package, now I know where it came from. 

Thanks guys!

The model is a Gunze Sangyo 1:32 '57 Chevy Hardtop (curbside). Yes, a 1:32 scale kit. It is part of a series depicting cars of the '50s.  The kits are really well done and seem to have good proportion and very nice detailing (especially for the smaller scale).  I have few more built and few still waiting their turn on my workshop bench.  The '59 Ford Skyliner was also featured in few BMF ads.  Here are some rear views.

Gunze59skylinerRear_zpsfxmlm7jx.jpg~orig

Gunze57eldoradoRear_zpsrpo7olul.jpg~orig

Gunze59eldoradoRear_zpsattp3ym2.jpg~orig

• 4 years later...

Bare-metal foil “Chrome” is not the same thickness as the original!!! They changed it. It doesn’t conform like my old stuff, overlaps show horribly! Wrinkles like mad! I hate the fact they changed it… I wish they would stop obsessing over shine and go back to caring about workability!!!

I had all the prob0lems that all of the above have had over the years. A plumber friend left some what he calls 'Plumbers Tape' one day as a reel had nearly run out. A little bit thicker than BMF and nice and sticky I used it on various kits. All needed was a good sharp craft blade. Superb! All I now ask for at my local builders merchants is 'Plumbers Tape'.  Oh and it's far cheapy on a big roll instead of a small sheet or two!

Edited by PatW

1 hour ago, PatW said:

I had all the prob0lems that all of the above have had over the years. A plumber friend left some what he calls 'Plumbers Tape' one day as a reel had nearly run out. A little bit thicker than BMF and nice and sticky I used it on various kits. All needed was a good sharp craft blade. Superb! All I now ask for at my local builders merchants is 'Plumbers Tape'.  Oh and it's far cheapy on a big roll instead of a small sheet or two!

What are you talking about? I tried googling “plumbers tape” and all that I could find was PTFE thread tape! Got a better clue of what you mean?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JohnU said:

What are you talking about? I tried googling “plumbers tape” and all that I could find was PTFE thread tape! Got a better clue of what you mean?

Well products are called different things in different countries, I'm in the UK your in the States. Here are a few photo's of the product made by Bostick, presumably called Idenden.

photo-th.jpg

photo3-th.jpg

It's adhesive very much so and polishes up to a very bright finish  when laid up.

photo6-th.jpg

Edited by PatW