Model Cars Magazine Forum

73 Mustang kit review

vamach1

What is the MAMA newsletter? I've already got the kit. It's not a great kit. But, it's not bad either. If you built the Ertl Boss 351 kit, or the original '73 MPC kit, you pretty much know what this is about. My only real complaint about the kit was the lack of correct '73 Mach I striping in the kit. I went to Keith Marks for the correct decals. I'm a little surprised with how Round 2 has done a lot of these reissues in the past, that they didn't expand upon the original decal sheet in this kit to includes those stripes too. Enough complaining. I've got the correct decals from Keith Marks. I'm happy.

R. Scott Aho

What is the MAMA newsletter? I've already got the kit. It's not a great kit. But, it's not bad either. If you built the Ertl Boss 351 kit, or the original '73 MPC kit, you pretty much know what this is about. My only real complaint about the kit was the lack of correct '73 Mach I striping in the kit. I went to Keith Marks for the correct decals. I'm a little surprised with how Round 2 has done a lot of these reissues in the past, that they didn't expand upon the original decal sheet in this kit to includes those stripes too. Enough complaining. I've got the correct decals from Keith Marks. I'm happy.

R. Scott Aho

R. Scott Aho

The Maryland Automotive Modelers Association monthly newsletter has been faithfully produced by Tim Sickle for over 25 years.  The members contribute the reviews so they tend to be written by modelers that are very similar with the subject matter.  Having owner five real 72-73 Mustangs I view the AMT and MPC kits of that era with a very critical eye with the assumption the builder would want to build a replica stock model.

R. Scott Aho

I just did a comparison of the amt versus mpc 1971-73 Mustang. The bodies about the same . Even with exhaust, they are Cherry Bomb type mufflers; should be flat like ERTL did on the 69 Eliminator Cougar. Otherwise, it is a good starting point.

Without meaning to sound dumb can a decent stock version be built from this MPC/Round 2 re-release or not?, I gather from what UncleScott mentioned you need the decals from Keith Marks, what else is needed to build a semi accurate stock 73 Mustang?.

I have the kit I just don't have enough knowledge on the 71-73 Mustangs

The #1 issue is there is no 351 CLEVELAND engine.  Of course 73 Mustangs also came with six cylinders and 302's.  You  could use the kit 289/302/351W.  Then there is the incorrect exhaust system that should have one or two oval style mufflers.  I could go on about there not being shock tower braces, a radiator shroud, no stock air cleaner, but you get the idea.  If you want to build a shelf kit and glue the hood shut that can be done after filling in those incorrect hood vents.  Otherwise, there are a lot of mods needed to make the kit something close to being accurate.  Ram air plenum - forget about it or scratch build one.

IMG_0453.JPG

Without meaning to sound dumb can a decent stock version be built from this MPC/Round 2 re-release or not?, I gather from what UncleScott mentioned you need the decals from Keith Marks, what else is needed to build a semi accurate stock 73 Mustang?.

I have the kit I just don't have enough knowledge on the 71-73 Mustangs

Yes, you can build a decent stock 1973 Mustang. Just buy the decals from Keith.