Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Catalina 421SD - Next on my hit list!

ConventionalMan

Hey guys and gals, thanks for all the kind remarks on my 68 Firebird. It really gave me a boost getting back in to this hobby! This is a great place to se some awesome work and there are so many inspiring builders here. It's awesome. 

My next challenge will be this Catalina. I have been researching and I can't find one little bit of very pertinent info... I would like to be historically correct color-wise...

I love the look of this beast in black, but I'm not a fan of the red interior. My question: Was the blue interior available with the black exterior? I cannot find definitive photo or order sheet proof anywhere. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

20161121_123743.thumb.jpg.16057f6a8e114c

Hello from Canada. I did a quick Google search for some color options you where asking about, and I found a nice Champagne Gold/tan color in a Black restored Catalina. Sharp looking car.

Quite a few had the metallic reds, the Bonnevilles had a lot of metallic blues,Autocolorlibrary.com is a good source for factory color paint chips. On the plus side,this is one of AMT's better kits to work with.

It's a good solid kit for a NASCAR stocker, or an early Super Stock drag car.Good luck with the build, hope this little info is helpful.

Barry Kennedy

Ont. Canada

I have 3 of these myself, the custom version and 2 drag/stock versions.

So many times I pull one down and start thinking about how I might like

to build it. So some inspiration in this area will be most welcome!!

I'm looking forward to seeing your take on this great kit.

David S. 

Hello from Canada. I did a quick Google search for some color options you where asking about, and I found a nice Champagne Gold/tan color in a Black restored Catalina. Sharp looking car.

Quite a few had the metallic reds, the Bonnevilles had a lot of metallic blues,Autocolorlibrary.com is a good source for factory color paint chips. On the plus side,this is one of AMT's better kits to work with.

It's a good solid kit for a NASCAR stocker, or an early Super Stock drag car.Good luck with the build, hope this little info is helpful.

Barry Kennedy

Ont. Canada

Thanks! I've seen them all lol. Just wanted that ONE pic of a black on blue one haha!

I have 3 of these myself, the custom version and 2 drag/stock versions.

So many times I pull one down and start thinking about how I might like

to build it. So some inspiration in this area will be most welcome!!

I'm looking forward to seeing your take on this great kit.

David S. 

I think I am sticking to basic factory stock on this. I just love the sleeper look. It looks like what ,in the automotive business, we used to call the welfare model. No bells and whistles. Basic. And it is. Except for everything that matters lol.