Model Cars Magazine Forum

An entirely new life

Harry P.

I had a very severe heart "incident" the other day. Basically my heart failed, and they kept me alive through immediate intensive care, including putting me on life support. Needless to say, my entire life has completely changed in the past few days. I have gone from being completely self-sufficient to being totally reliant on others for my day to day existence. I can no longer live alone, and will need intensive, ongoing physical therapy from now on.

I am going to have to sell my house and most of my belongings beginning immediately, and will be downsizing to a condo or townhouse down in Champaign or Urbana, IL... which is where my daughters live. My son is staying with me for the next week or two, and will be in charge of selling off my assets, and ultimately my house.

It's a LOT of change coming at me all at once... completely unforeseen and unexpected. My life as I have known it for the past 30+ years has been taken from me, and I now face a completely new reality beginning today. It's a lot of change for one person to take in so suddenly, but life has made this choice for me.

I'm not sure how this will all exactly shake out... all I know is that as of today my life has profoundly and suddenly changed. And I'm still trying to process it all. If God has a plan for me, he sure sprung it on me unexpectedly, and my head is reeling with all of these big changes I must now immediately make.

Prayers to you and your family. 

I can't say I have been there......but I had a major issue a few years ago and went from active independent guy to wheelchair bond Dependent person overnight. 

So hang tough, don't feel bad when you ask for or need help......I am sure you lent a hand when you were able. A guys ego takes a beating sometimes when we have major changes like this. 

I hope for you the best. 

Be strong Harry. As you said you've had a major life changing event.

You will have to follow the path where it leads you. I know you are a strong person and will learn to adapt to these changes.

I don't know what to say that would be better than this.

Know that you are and will be in our thoughts and prayers, Harry.

I don't know what else to add to what has been said already other than continued prayers for your recovery Harry. Hopefully your daughters can help you in the coming months with your therapy and with God's help, bring some sense of normalcy back to your life. You have a major battle ahead but you seem determined to meet it head on and beat it and I feel you will.

Take care of yourself and make sure you get the help you need. This forum will be here for you and let us know what we can do to help.

Harry, as I am sure you are abundantly aware at this point, life is a journey, not a destination.  I am sad that you are hit by a turn in that road that you didn't expect, but glad you have the friends and family to help you along this part of the journey.  My best wishes for you and your loved ones! 

You say it all in your title. An entirely new LIFE. We're all ecstatic you're able to say this. Some of these changes will be temporary. Once you get your health back, and you will, your life will be different but it will be yours. Stay positive, stay strong and most important STAY HERE!

There's a lot of wisdom in the advice to just try to "take things one day at a time"

Try to focus primarily on getting your health back, and try to avoid letting yourself get overwhelmed by the complexity of the situation.

You'll always have my sincere best wishes, no matter which way your life takes you in the future.

Hang in there Harry....many of us have had to go through things that are life changing as well...it takes time and everything that happens does for a reason...many times it makes us stronger or better people in one way or another.  After my accident I had to learn how to do most things all over again as I could....our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Harry, if there's anything that's constant, it's change, we all have to deal with it in varying ways. Take your time and get well, things will sort out, you have a lot of people who care about you and want you to get back and on with your life. You have a great opportunity to change things now to better suit your situation. We'll all be here waiting for you and praying for you. 

Harry, I am so thankful that you are still here with us.  I know that you are facing a lot of uncertainty in the future, but with the help of family and friends you will make it through all of these life changing events.

When I had my series of TIA's (strokes) back in 2000 I had to learn to walk all over again.  I went from a wheelchair, to a walker, to a cane, and eventually was able to move around on my own.  I went through a period of depression, asking "Why me..??"  I stopped modeling because it just didn't seem all that important anymore compared to health and just being alive.  I had to stop driving due to partial loss of sight.  Through the help and persistence of my family and great friends I overcame the depression and returned to this hobby which gave me back much enjoyment and purpose, and had a calming effect

Life throws us curve balls at times and we just have no choice but to deal with them with a positive outlook in order to survive.  It's not easy many times but life in general isn't easy...  

Hang in there buddy, stay strong and above all, don't be afraid to ask for help when and if you need it.

Harry there is always one thing that I keep in mind. Be greatfull for what you have.

I saw on the "I am in the Hospital" thread where you thanked God for us which to me means you are a spiritual man. Bob's got it right with the gratitude Harry, and through God is where it happens. I'll be sending prayers up for you and hope that whatever path is laid out for you that you'll walk it hand in hand with Him one day at a shot. Serenity prayer is key. I hope and pray the best for you and your family brother, Joe