Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Corvette

Psychographic

I've been trying to come up with a good name for this build. Hamerhead is perfect! Thanks

well, the frontal shape of the belly pan seemed rather manta or hammerhead shark-like, then you decided to put the headlights in the outer aero-pods and it seemed like a "no-brainer".

looking forward to see what your paint scheme will be.  :)

I think the last thing I need to do with the body is the lip for the back half to sit on when closed. I'm using .010 x .125 to make it.

PC071162%20Medium_zpslcr4s4th.jpg

While looking at it trying to decide on paint, I wondered how much, if any of this is unmolested 68 Corvette. The green part is the only thing left that wasn't altered in some way.

Unmolested%20Medium_zpszb1f4wwj.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

I set Hammerhead to the side and I'll let it outgas for a day or two before final prime.

In the meantime I decide to attack some more plastic. I've always wanted to do a VW Beetle, but can't ever remember building one. I had no idea where I was going with this, I just took out the saws and started cutting to see what I could come up with.

Sweet!  Did you use 2 VW to get that far on the build?

Nope, just one kit. This might help figure out how it got to where it is.

First I thought of doing a Volksrod, so off came the fenders.

PC071167%20Medium_zpscygwqsy8.jpg

I couldn't find a wheel/tire or wheelbase I liked, so I decided to play "What if". What if is simply cutting, removing, or adding with no direction of what the next step is.

So what if I straight chop it, and not take a section of the back of the roof out?  I also want to lay the windshield back  to give it a more modern look. A cut was made about 3/16" behind the top edge of the windshield, a notch in the bottom of the A pillars and a deep score at the base of the windshield/cowl. 1/8" was taken out of the B and C pillars. The C pillar only gets cut halfway with the horizontal cut and ends with a vertical cut coming up from the bottom of the body.  After the roof was cut off, approximately 1/16" was removed from the front edge to allow the windshield to lay back.

PC071168%20Medium_zpsancutqg8.jpg

When put back together the entire back of the car ( well what's left of it) drops with the roof. So the back of the car is 1/8" lower than the rest of the car even though the roof lines up. Confused yet?

PC071169%20Medium_zpskz5fgbcx.jpg

The fenders were widened 1/4" in the rear and 1/8" in the front, the front fenders have been raised about 1/8" and the rears about 3/16". The rear fenders are also brought forward 1/4". The B pillars were then removed and filler pieces made to reshape the rear side windows. The back widow is filled, with the hope of grafting a split window from a 40 Willys ( if I can find one).

The full size windshield didn't line up with the side windows, I made a filler along the top edge to take about 1/16" out of it. No pic of that yet.

Edited by Psychographic

• 6 months later...