Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Corvette

Psychographic

I decided a few days ago to clean up and organize most of my kits and supplies. While doing so, I ran across two things that just seemed as if they needed to go together. First was a Scorpion space ship that I was converting into a car. The other was a 68 Vette convertible.I thought the long bubble top of the Scorpion would look cool on the Vette. Out came the saws and other implements of destruction and a little later I had a  body 3/4" narrower and a bubble top roughly mounted in place.

PB051046%20Medium_zpskzq7tvyh.jpg

If you look at the picture above you will see the pencil marks just below the top edge of the fender and door. This needs to be cut out to fit the bottom edge of the bubble surround. In the pic below it has been cut and put back together. This will add to the curves of the body. In my opinion the 68 body style was the nicest looking Corvette ever made. So I want to slightly exaggerate these curves without going over board.

PB051048%20Medium_zpsupwfmy19.jpg

I cut a section of a "clear egg holder tray thing" from the dollar store to make the section behind the bubble. I also thought the back hung too far back, so I cut it off and slid the back inside the the front of the body. When sanded it once again will add to the curves of the body.

PB051052%20Medium_zpsgpyhgev3.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

Time to drop the front a little. I'm going to take about 1/8" out of the grille. First a rough cut to see if my idea to do this will even work. Along with the cuts already made, I will be cutting the top off completely along the pencil lines.

Clamping this together was looking like it wouldn't hold, the tapered nose made the clamps slide off. I then got the idea to use some sandpaper for extra grip. I make my own sanding sticks using rolls of sticky back sandpaper and craft sticks. I used these to clamp the parts.

OK, here is where I take a radical turn in what direction this is going. I filled the gills and replaced them with deep vents, then I filled the wheel wells using plastic spoons to keep the rounded shape. After a round or two with filler and some priming I had a cross between a Corvette and an old Bonneville Streamliner. I really toyed with going with the streamliner look, but then found the right wheels and tires and off in another direction we will go.

I started on the the base for the body to sit on. The car should seal up visually once the body and base are together which means I don't have to deal with a lot of detailing and scratchbuilding. The wheels and tires are from the 39 Wagonrod.

PB151069%20Medium_zpsbbcjjytv.jpg

Edited by Psychographic