Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freightliner Cascadia

I started building a cab and hood for a Freightliner Cascadia about 2 years ago. This weekend I finally decided to do something with it. I started with scratch-built frame rails using 7/16" I-beam with the flanges shaved off of one side. I used the suspension from a Moebius Lonestar kit and added nuts and bolts from Meng.

I used Moebius rims, but sprayed them with Spaz Styx to dull down the kit chrome shine a little bit. I drilled out the centers and added some resin drive hubs.

Next I painted the chassis black and added some scratch-built quarter fenders and rear mudflaps.

Nice work KJ . Who made the Cascadia kit ?

Thanks Dave! Unfortunately nobody has made a Cascadia kit, so I made the cab and hood myself. I had plans of building this 2 years ago when I made the cab, but it got put on the back-burning at the time.

Could you tell us more about what went into making the cab from scratch? Did you use scale drawings from somewhere?

I drew the cab in 3D CAD and then had it 3D printed. This was by far the hardest shaped cab and hood I have ever drawn. It took me around 40 hours of drawing to get it to look right, and it is still not exactly right. I had a few known dimensions (length, width, height, etc) and I scaled everything else from pictures. Some of the complex curves on the cab are still a little off, but I am hoping that the rest of the build will mask some of the flaws.