Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 (Gasser Style Street Freaky Nongasser Show Car) 'Vette

James2

Please don't put the nose pointed way up in the air. Real in-period gassers that were actually raced under sanctioning-body rules did NOT look like that, and it's only the uninformed "nostalgia" builders who seem to want to perpetuate the fallacy of that stance.

Otherwise...good looking project, and I'll look forward to updates.   :D

I agree with Ace. Don't care what the "real" one looks like, the nose is too high.

Also, if you did want to get closer to the real one, which seems to be a '64, you could use an AMT or Revell (snapper) '63 body.

(The real one seems to have at least some of the Grand Sport body mods.)

Cool project, though. I'm almost finish restoring an old builtup that was very much in this same ballpark.

fda6f686230108f052ed38ea65e6c82a.jpg

Nice project James looks good....   Start with a cool subject ...end with a cool scale replica 

I dont think your subjects nose is any higher than this ones....;)    

I think if you look at the tires this one seems to be coming off the line which would start to lift the front end up. At first glance I thought the one in the pic James posted was also doing that because of the height of front end. It looks a little "unnatural" to me but if you're trying to replicate that car then that would seem to be that. To me, it would be cool if you could wrinkle the rear tires and make it look like it's coming off the line the same way.

fda6f686230108f052ed38ea65e6c82a.jpg

Nice project James looks good....   Start with a cool subject ...end with a cool scale replica 

I dont think your subjects nose is any higher than this ones....;)    

1) I'll bet you $100 that if you put an angle-finder on the rocker panel of the car above, it won't be anywhere near as nose-high as the "inspiration" vehicle.

2) The problem is that people who have never seen REAL in-period gassers at rest and launching assume the way-nose-up attitude is how they sit normally. Wrong. The nose comes up at launch...WAY up...and "nostalgia" cars and models mimic the stupid-stance because they interpreted the photos of launch-mode incorrectly. The photo immediately above obviously has the front suspension unloaded (obvious if you know what you're looking at, anyway). There's no sidewall bulge on the front tire, and it appears to be almost coming off the ground. The wrinkle pattern in the slick indicates acceleration, too.This is "launch-mode". 

This comes up all the time, and for some reason, people want to argue that the cars all sat way nose-high. Nope.

Granted, the noses come up at launch, and some cars sat nose-high...but most sanctioning bodies required the cars to sit level at rest. Look it up.

NHRA also set a specific 24" height limit from the ground to the crankshaft centerline.

Of course, what do I know?   ;) 

Granted, the noses come up at launch, and some cars sat nose-high...but most sanctioning bodies required the cars to sit level at rest. Look it up.

NHRA also set a specific 24" height limit from the ground to the crankshaft centerline.

AND, the lower edge of the body was supposed to be no higher than the centerlines of the front and rear axles. Nor no lower than the rim of the wheel. So there is your "stance envelope."

Before we go much further, I would like to clarify that the first pic is the inspiration. NOT the interpretation. 

It is not a relplica race car, it is not a racecar at all. It is a 67 Vette, custom, street, show kinda car thing that may or may not look like a gasser though. 

I like the stance, I like the body mods, I like the wheels and tires and the engine. That's why I used them!

Thanks for the interest...

Before we go much further, I would like to clarify that the first pic is the inspiration. NOT the interpretation. 

It is not a relplica race car, it is not a racecar at all. It is a 67 Vette, custom, street, show kinda car thing that may or may not look like a gasser though. 

I like the stance, I like the body mods, I like the wheels and tires and the engine. That's why I used them!

Thanks for the interest...

It's a good looking car in its own right, and of course it's your model, and you can build anything your heart desires. But to me, the inspiration car would be a lot more attractive and just plain mean looking if it had a real gasser stance.

My only point is that to those of us who were into gassers and hung out a drag strips when they were real and not pretend, the nose-high stance makes us cringe.

I always like your work, and I'm sure we'll all enjoy seeing whatever you decide to do with this.   :D

I hear what your saying, but! The car I posted is no gasser, it is a show car to promote a body manufactured by Mongoose Motor Sports  

The car Dave posted is a gasser named Mongoose but I'm not building that one either.

If you feel so strongly about the "Gasser" subject perhaps a new Thread would be appropriate. That way everyone could add comments on the subject. 

I enjoy your builds as well, thanks.

Edited by James2

While you already have the Revell body well underway another alternative would be the AMT '63 Corvette kit. It didn't have the straight axle, but did have many drag racing options and some nice options on  the rear wheel wells. and hood. If you didn't want the split window that could be changed.

1) I'll bet you $100 that if you put an angle-finder on the rocker panel of the car above, it won't be anywhere near as nose-high as the "inspiration" vehicle.

2) The problem is that people who have never seen REAL in-period gassers at rest and launching assume the way-nose-up attitude is how they sit normally. Wrong. The nose comes up at launch...WAY up...and "nostalgia" cars and models mimic the stupid-stance because they interpreted the photos of launch-mode incorrectly. The photo immediately above obviously has the front suspension unloaded (obvious if you know what you're looking at, anyway). There's no sidewall bulge on the front tire, and it appears to be almost coming off the ground. The wrinkle pattern in the slick indicates acceleration, too.This is "launch-mode". 

This comes up all the time, and for some reason, people want to argue that the cars all sat way nose-high. Nope.

Being an avid "gasser fan" you are right Bill, as I used to enjoy watching the gassers back in the mid-late 60's and still do at an annual gasser meet called Meltdown Drags which had 620 cars registered this year and a waiting list in case anyone dropped out.

James , 

Very nice start on your project . I found a photo of this same car on the Internet 2 weeks ago and tucked it into the roundtoit file . Stick to your vision of your build as you see fit . After all is said and done , it's your build , and that is what this hobby is all about .......

James , 

Very nice start on your project . I found a photo of this same car on the Internet 2 weeks ago and tucked it into the roundtoit file . Stick to your vision of your build as you see fit . After all is said and done , it's your build , and that is what this hobby is all about .......

Thanks man, that is my intent. As much as I enjoy this forum it is frustrating  when things are misunderstood. It amazes me how things get twisted sometimes. But we shall carry on...

I love the look and the idea...Awesome work so far James!   Look forward to watching progress on this. 

Curious to see Andy chime in on this one,  I know he picked up a couple of the grandsport kits to build a car inspired by the mongoose motorsports one as well.

I love the look and the idea...Awesome work so far James!   Look forward to watching progress on this. 

Curious to see Andy chime in on this one,  I know he picked up a couple of the grandsport kits to build a car inspired by the mongoose motorsports one as well.

Yes he did, we talked about that when he was at the Hot Rod Show. 

Thanks for the interest too...

James,

Awesome start to a cool build. The guys at Mongoose build a lot of the Grand Sport Corvettes including the one in the Fast and Furious movies. I am sure you will knock this out of the park. By the way don't forget our meeting Thursday night. Bring an appetite, we are doing pizza and bring a wrapped model if you want to participate in our drawing.

Tom

James,

Awesome start to a cool build. The guys at Mongoose build a lot of the Grand Sport Corvettes including the one in the Fast and Furious movies. I am sure you will knock this out of the park. By the way don't forget our meeting Thursday night. Bring an appetite, we are doing pizza and bring a wrapped model if you want to participate in our drawing.

Tom

Thanks Tom I'll be there!