Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Datsun 280ZX Turbo

Casey

That's been gone a LONG time--it went away with the bankruptcy of Lesney, who owned AMT at the time (1981).   I did the box art model you see in the artwork you posted, along with a "custom version" in red & black, in early 1980.

Art Anderson

It has been 20 years, but AMT/Ertl reissued the kit in 1996.

I did the box art model you see in the artwork you posted, along with a "custom version" in red & black, in early 1980.

Art Anderson

Having recently studied the box art Casey posted, I compliment you on a job well done, Art.

For this reissue, Round2 is planning to re-create the Lesney-era box, which is to include a model built to resemble yours (although I believe the gold striping may differ).

Wonder if it'll still include the custom option (body kit, ducktale wing, etc) from Matchbox Street Machine issue, which was also carried over to the 1990s reissue?

Since the MPC Datsun monster truck is out, lets hope the 82 Celica isn't too far down the line.

Edited by RickRollerLT1

The Nissan dealer I drive past on the way home from work had a 280ZX on their lot, in front of the showroom just last week.  It was gold metallic, looked like it was a really clean unrestored piece.  I can't imagine the expense that would be involved in restoring one, probably way more than you could ever expect to get for it.  I didn't see a price on the windshield, maybe they just had it there as an attention-getter.

• 6 months later...

I'm hoping it hits Hobby Lobby shelves as well. I haven't seen the Datsun Pickup, Opel GT or the RX7 there. Are they out yet and is HL carrying them? Here's hoping Monogram will reissue their Datsun 260Z also.

Edited by oldcarfan

Just saw the 280ZX on the shelf today at my LHS (along with the RX7 they've had for a couple of weeks), but not at Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby did have the Foose pickup that my LHS still hasn't gotten.

Edited by SSNJim

I built one last year for a guy. Comes out pretty nice.  I did replace the wheels and tires with some aftermaket style wheels and tires.  May have been the ones from Revell 70 Cuda.  I don't remember.   Builds nicely and if your interests lie in that area, won't be as disappointing when finished and hard to build as the Revell 240Zs.  I thought those were pretty darn fiddly.