Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Sock-it-to-Me Corvette MSP: Gasser Suspension Dynamics 101, Jan. 29

Ace-Garageguy

Thanks, but if you actually want to finish anything, it's probably not the best possible way to go.  :D

That's exactly why I don't. lol

One of the things I hate the most is stalled projects. I have enough of that going on with my 1:1 cars that I don't want to even deal with it in 1:25 scale LOL

Great photos! I had little luck in googling for reference photos. Those shots illustrate the divergence in engineering that the rules allowed, always nice when trying to make an "accurate" model but wanting to just eyeball stuff and make creative decisions, too.

Is there a tutoial on your glassing process? Id be interested in it for a 1/12 Porsche 910 I did a brass frame for eons ago! (I've wanted to do a true glass body using molds to get the proper texture and such.)

• 1 month later...

Is there a tutoial on your glassing process? 

No, but I'm working on a potential magazine article.  B)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the edge of the decklid opening finished and fitted, she looks like this. Nice and tight, and more symmetrical than the kit-delivered scribed line.

I finally decided to go with parallel semi-elliptical springs all around, so I made up some spring hangers on the chassis, and started scratching a straight front tube-axle.

Also decided to go with a B&M Hydro-Stick, after making certain it would be period-correct.

Tube-axle coming along.

All the scratchbuilt springs (they will all get more leaves) and brackets / hangers in place on the chassis for fitup.

Made up a pushbar.

Gluing the body to the chassis with removable glue, to use it as a jig to get the centers of the axles in exactly the right place.

Checking final stance one more time.

I really like this angle.

Great sit! The front's not jacked up nosebleed high, like far too many seem to like to do it.

:D Yeah, well...what can I say...;)

Coming along nicely.

Thank you sir. I STILL need to deal with triangulating that bay after the rear end and lift bars figure out where they want to go.   :D

Bill,

I love this project, as it is done technically correct to my eyes, and you did not take the easy way out. So far, everything looks as if it were a gasser from the 1960's!!!

Wow, this is cool! How did I manage to miss it till now?!

It's nice to see something both period correct and properly engineered for a change.  Keep at it, I know all about getting bogged down and never finishing anything.

That is so cool !!!

Thanks for the enthusiastic responses. Very much appreciated. Seriously. :D

Guilty as charged! :unsure:

VetteGas9-vi.jpg

John, I REALLY like that thing, and it's easy to see why so many people tend to build the nose-up attitude the cars assume at launch. It looks aggressive and fast, but to me, without a driver in the car so it appears to be under control (not static) the nose-up is just wrong (though your little Corvette isn't as exaggerated as some I've seen). Comes from a lot of time watching gassers launch during my misspent youth, I guess. My old brain is wired to expect to see models that look like what actually was.  :D

• 9 months later...
On 2/27/2017 at 10:05 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

No problem though. A strip of .030" styrene applied all around and carefully shaped will fix it, and allow me to correct the slight asymmetry of the kit opening-line in the process.

DSCN0858_zps7btsnmxw.jpg

It seems a new set of rear wheels snuck into the slicks without being mentioned... ^_^ I hope you didn't part out a Revell "double" kit just to get those. :D

On 4/26/2017 at 8:14 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

DSCN0867_zpsw702zyew.jpg

Also decided to go with a B&M Hydro-Stick, after making certain it would be period-correct.

DSCN0868_zpsiaus8x2j.jpg

Which kit/parts pack is that B&M Hydro Stick from?

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

It seems a new set of rear wheels snuck into the slicks without being mentioned... ^_^ I hope you didn't part out a Revell "double" kit just to get those. :D

Which kit/parts pack is that B&M Hydro Stick from?

1) Those wheels are in one of the parts packs that I bought years ago before the prices got really stupid. Same as a set in one of the Revell double kits...as you obviously know. The 5-spoke Americans always get used first from those old sets, and the ones shown are often leftovers when you find a partial sprue. The R&M repop number is P-147.

2) That particular B&M trans in in the old Revell Cadillac "354" (there never was a factory 354) parts-pack.

Image result for Revell cadillac engine parts pack

This is a great build, I have learned a lot, as I am planning a couple of Corvette Modified Sport drag cars. I have saved the pics for reference, I really like your cage. I am not old enough to have been there when stuff like this was running at the track, but I have studied vintage drag cars and poured over pictures for years and it look's like the stance is spot on. I enjoy watching this build come together!            -Larry

Edited by larman

• 8 months later...

In my experience back in the 60's and 70's, local tracks were a LOT more forgiving of the class rules than the national races. I knew several racers that were running Modified Production with cars that would have been in the Altered or Gas classes at a national event. They would not have been competitive, either, in those classes ;-). Also, there were lots of travelling match racers that threw the rule book away in the name of making money. They would be paid to show at these local races as crowd pleasers. 

The rules issues you have pointed out don't bother me at all. What you are building would have looked perfectly at home, and probably much nicer than most of the cars, at Golden Triangle Dragstrip in Beaumont, TX in the late 60's and early 70's. when I was a regular spectator and occasional participant.

Edited by OneTrickPony

In order for this to be more “period correct”, it should have a blown small block chevy ( like Jim Sermersheim’s corvette which I saw run back in the sixties).  I doubt that anyone ran a blown 409.  You do good work, sir, and your contributions to this forum is immense.