Model Cars Magazine Forum

$30+ kits - hows it affect you?

My daughter and I were discussing this a few days ago. (she builds Gundams) But, I do think the popularity of model cars is declining. The real growth is in Gundam and other science fiction subjects. Our model car club has about 50 members and is growing slowly. The local Gundam club has 300 members, and is only a few years old.

Dave, is quite correct. The sci-fi market is quite large and the Gundam-type giant robots are a huge part of that. My oldest son builds them. The target demographic is young adults and the cost of the kits is QUITE high. $45-120+. They are molded in multiple colors and have clear and chrome pieces. They are snap together, have nearly NO flash or mold marks and can be built in a day or less with minimal tools. Lots of folks argue about the "instant gratification generation". The success of these kits despite the cost says a lot about it. A local hobby shop (Ralphs) was just bought and the new owner, who's quite a savvy guy, has really embraced this trend without pushing the other stuff away. About 2/3 of his sales are sci-fi based.

Every time the subject of price comes around and a bunch of folks start griping about how much the hobby cost, someone like me has to come along and point out that it isn't what you put into a kit, it is what you get out of it.  Now frankly, I'm a slow builder.  I know that.  I only get two or three done a year and if I put less than 30 hours into one, then that is pretty quick for me.  Having said that, I build because the process gives me pleasure.  If I just wanted something to throw up on the shelf, there are a whole ####pot full of diecasts out there that I could buy.  No, I love the pleasure of making something I can be proud of.  

Yeah. I agree completely here. For me a model is enjoyment over time. And like Pete I have 40+ hours into every model. I keep a modest stash. 65 kits or less. I buy most at swap meets spending $8-12 dollars per. So buying 3-4 new kits a year at the hobby store, isn't so bad on the wallet for me.

30$ kits don't affect me at all....

I think the price.... the kit manufacturer, (domestic brand or import) ,most are not made in the USA, age of tooling,( new tool or old re-pop)  subject , scale, how far you have to drive to get it, or shipping cost. All factor in on what I am willing to buy , or spend on an item. I wouldn't mind spending $30 on a New Revell Ford Bronco, but wouldn't give a re-pop Round two Amt '62 Corvette a second thought at $30.

I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where you can, at the right hobby shop sitll get a new Revell Bronco for under $20. And there are enough swap meets , model car shows, fleamarkets, model car club friends and trading on here to satisify my buying interests.

I feel for you guys that don't have those options.

Edited by Davemodeltech

Let's not miss the point. If a kit sells for $30, the MSRP will probably be $45, so Hobby Lobby discount will bring it back down to reality, but still $30.

We all, obviously, shop around for the best deal, but what if the best deals become $30 $40 or more? 

I decided to buy and build. Holding a big stash is, for me, a waste. So paying $30 or $40 for one kit is fine  - where it will hurt is the people who buy 30+ kits a year and only build 3.

I DO appreciate Revell and AMT adding additional parts!

To me, this is just like comic book collecting. I finally stopped when the cover price went from $3 straight to $4 and it just no longer made sense. If kits get too costly, I will stop buying new ones. Already, I no longer buy so many Tamiya kits because they average $70 and that is just crazy. Most of the Tamiya kits that I buy now are purchased on Amazon from Japan where I can get them for half the price with free shipping and have to wait about 3 weeks to get them.

I was effected a few years ago!!  Unemployment STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I have looked, I have NOT purchased ma new kit in 3-4 YEARS

I wanted the Retro Re-issue AMT Aero-Chief kit, but $60.00 at Hobby Lobby before a 40% Coupon 

Knocked that one Out

I am almost waiting for the Chinese companies to take ownership of the tooling they  have

and stat flooding the market with kits at Half price or lower

Like they did with Code3 Diecast Fire Trucks

(Though Code3 did Stop Production before the takeover)

Prices have caused me to focus almost entirely on 1:32 scale Lindberg kits which I can purchase for about $5 to $7 a piece.  Although I have to say that these kits are lacking in many ways.  Typically no engines, no chrome, no decals.  And even the parts are few and not as nice to work with as the 1:24 scale kits.  Still they serve my purpose which is to build them for use in dioramas on a G-scale Model Railroad.   At $5 to $7 a kit I can build far more of them than if I went with the 1:24 scale kits at $30 a piece.  Also the smaller cars actually work out better for the layout anyway.  Dioramas built at 1:24 scale get very large very quickly.   The 1:32 is a bit smaller than the trains which are 1:29 scale, but they make it possible to have more complex dioramas in a more compact space.  So it works out better than way for my layout.  I decided that consistency in the scales is more important than precision.  And the cost factor certainly played a large roll in the decision as well.

Consider this:

(10) 1:24 models cost about $300 (at $30 a piece). while (10) 1:32 models cost about $50 to $70 (at $5 to $7 a piece).  The savings adds up real quick.  So I'm learning how to make do with these cheap little models.

James... a friend gave me some 1/32 models.  They're kinda like diecast, not model kits.  There's 5 or 6 of them I know one of them is a '53 Buick Skylark.   If you're interested, I could take pics.  I could mail them to you for the cost of postage just to get them out of here.

I have a lot of unbuilt kits. I'm well stocked up on Model As, Ts and Deuces, and I've got 57 Chevies that I'll never build, so now I only buy stuff that really speaks to me. That leaves out a lot of the current kits. My last purchases were the Pinto wagon and both the AMT and the MPC Pacers, also the Duster and Volare. If they were to reissue the Monza, Chevette, Pinto hatch or other 70s-80s kits I'll be buying them.

My average shelf price has been $45+ for a long time now,  i build on average 14 kits a year, all i do is put more detail into a build to make it last,

that way, $40 a month plus sundries... it's not too bad really.  Way cheaper than the 1:1 habit..

My average shelf price has been $45+ for a long time now,  i build on average 14 kits a year, all i do is put more detail into a build to make it last,

that way, $40 a month plus sundries... it's not too bad really.  Way cheaper than the 1:1 habit..

I couldn't have put that better myself as that's been my stance on it . My monthly average is about $45 but a build will take me around the 7-10 month marker. All in all it doesn't hurt too bad and as Dale said it's one helluva lot cheaper than my Mustang used to be and to me it's just as gratifying..

Edited by mustang1989