Model Cars Magazine Forum

K100E conversion for Revell kits

Very cool, I'll be watching what you're doing here. I've thought about doing the "E" conversion myself with the new reissue coming out. Are the headlights the only major difference? Probably other details, too.

A K100E conversion would be nice to have, except for the headlights the grille is different too...more blocky and square and there are most likely other small things that's different. on the E

I made the upper corners of the grill more square and made the square bezels that will eventually go in the new square headlight surrounds. The only other major difference for early and mid production E's is that the cab went for 108" to 110" but I don't think I'm going to cut the cab up for 3/32 of an inch difference. The late production E's also had the front axle set back three or four inches due to new and better front springs so they redesigned the way the rubber drip rail curves down at the front.

If there's enough interest I will see about getting them cast.

Early/Mid

IMG_2144.JPG

Late

139ee1646cf766b100367520722a5283.jpg

Could be an interesting conversion.  What engine would be appropriate for a K100E?  What engine comes in the Revell kit?

I also noticed that you have photos of Australian & US K100E.  Were there major differences (other that the LHD/RHD thing)?

Could be an interesting conversion.  What engine would be appropriate for a K100E?  What engine comes in the Revell kit?

I also noticed that you have photos of Australian & US K100E.  Were there major differences (other that the LHD/RHD thing)?

The 8v92T from the AMT Papa truck kit is correct. The Revell kit comes with that twin turbo Cummins, if you make it a single turbo I'm sure it would be fine along with the 3406 from the snap kits. At that point the only difference between the Aussie and US version looks to be that the Aussie truck keeps the little vent that that the US version loses when it gets the vent over the right side headlights.

I believe the reissue is the 108 inch flat top, but the roof section is a separate piece and the windows for the Aerodyne roof and upper bunk was in the issue of the flat top I bought back in the day, wich was the K100 VIT Australia when it was first released, and the roof section is the only thing that's different...so who knows.

Edited by Force

Great work so far Brian! Does the reissued K-100 have an Aerodyne roof option? I noticed in your first pic it's an Aerodyne but the kit shows a flat top.

The reissue is the flat top as Force said, I paid out the hiney for themost recent issue Aerodyne version.